PDA

View Full Version : oscar treats

kaianuanu
11-22-2007, 09:58 PM
what type of things should i give my baby oscars for treats?:confused:

sorrry to ask so many questions thanx:jaws:

TowBoater
11-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Probably feeder fish such as guppies or goldfish depending on size.

tropfish
11-23-2007, 05:00 PM
and feeder fish excersize them, but i would advise not to buy them from the lfs. feeder goldfish there and grossly overstocked and full of disease. You could feed culls (fry you don't want) form other breeding fish to the oscars.

TowBoater
11-23-2007, 05:09 PM
What I do is have a spare tank and buy a dozen feeder guppies and place in there. I put stress coat and aquarium salt in there with a bunch of live plants and super filtration. They reproduce like mad and are healthy. I never feed them to my big fish for at least a week to see if there is any disease.

tropfish
11-23-2007, 05:14 PM
go idea kuli, never thought of that!

cocoa_pleco
11-23-2007, 05:19 PM
for treats i give my oscar crickets, algae wafers, stuff like that. i never use feeders

TowBoater
11-23-2007, 05:19 PM
If you have young fish to that like live food, them baby guppies are the best thing for them to!!!

Fishguy2727
11-24-2007, 03:52 AM
The ideal diet is nothing but NLS. They do not need treats or variety.

If you must then breeding guppies, platies, or something like that in a 10 or something would be fine.

TowBoater
11-24-2007, 05:55 AM
I know a bunch of people only feed NLS but I like to give mine a variety to make them a little happier, then love me!!:11:

Fishguy2727
11-24-2007, 01:39 PM
It depends on what you are feeding and how much. NLS exclusively truly is the best thing for them. They will be more colorful, healthier, grow faster (they will thank you for these things). Feeding live foods can increase aggression, not something you need in big cichlids. It can also introduce a wide range of pathogens. Oscars learn who feeds them and will love them for that no matter what. Adding other foods only dilutes the nutrition in the NLS. I only feed NLS and all three of my oscars are the first to the front of the tank whenever I come up to it.

Incredulous_Ed
11-24-2007, 06:21 PM
I would not feed feeder fish. They will often introduce diseases into the tank, which you don't want. You could offer them some freeze dried krill, or some frozen brine shrimp.

TowBoater
11-24-2007, 09:30 PM
I guess but to me variety is better and my fish are colored up great!! Feeder fish are used as treats though and are fine if you do it the right way by quarantine them and usually raising your own.

gm72
11-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Particularly if you raise your own as Kuli suggests. Great idea.

Fishguy2727
11-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Even if they are disease free they still increase the aggression level. And nice coloration is nice coloration, but fish on NLS exclusively are the ones that are unbelievable.

TowBoater
11-25-2007, 01:00 AM
Ok look, NLS is good, yes but you are making it look as if it is the only food worth a hoot. I'm not a big fan of it personally and my fish don't like it as much. My fish have great color as it is, I am a fan of the Hakari foods but I don't say they are the best, they are to my fish. Sorry if it makes you mad but it is your personal preference, yes the food is good but to some it's not the best.

Fishguy2727
11-25-2007, 02:33 PM
They can have good colors, mine did. But if Hikari takes them to that point and NLS is better, then their colors would be even better on a better food. Some fish are stubborn when it comes to new foods, but if it is better for them then we should do what we can to get them on it. The colors I have gotten with NLS are unbelievable, literally I look at them sometimes and can't believe they are so colorful. Hikari is really good, second best in my opinion and experience. But NLS is a good step or two above Hikari. I am not doubting your experiences with it, but I want to make sure people understand how good NLS is. It is our responsibility to do the absolute best we reasonably can for our fish. Have you read the nutrition article on their site yet? If not I suggest you do. It is a must read for anyone at all interested in doing the best for their fish.

In my experience yes, NLS is the only food worth a hoot except for a couple Hikari foods for specific uses (Food Sticks, Massivore Delite, and maybe a couple others).

gm72
11-25-2007, 03:07 PM
The ingredients are very different as well. I used OSI and Hikari alongside NLS for a while. Interesting reading. I am also finding that I use significantly less NLS than other foods. Those pellets feed a LOT of fish, far more so than any flake. So, the food may be a little more expensive up front but you won't believe how long a container lasts. I also notice less fish waste when I do my water changes.

No, I'm not saying NLS is the only food that anyone should ever feed their fish, but I am with Fishguy in saying that it is the best food I personally have ever used, hands down. I would recommend it strongly to everyone to just try.

TowBoater
11-25-2007, 05:26 PM
It may be the best to ya'll but my fish don't like it, they like getting the real stuff like frozen and such. I will tell you my feeding routine, I feed a rotation of frozens then some small cichlid pellets for my firemouths seeing as the larger fish won't let them get the Hakari pellets and then I feed the Hakari sinking pellets. I stand by what my fish say, they don't care for NLS.:c2:

gm72
11-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Okay, but at least you tried it. That was really my point, just to give it a shot.

Fishguy2727
11-25-2007, 11:14 PM
I would suggest keeping them on it for a month, exclusively. Many fish simply don't like change. They are thrown off by it and if not hungry enough will ignore a new food. The company has a guarantee and my experience supports it, they will improve. I know NLS is better for them than their current diet. It may not show now, but down the road it may. Some of the problems can be unseen, like fatty liver and kidneys. These may result in a 'mystery death' of a fish and not given the weight it deserves because for so long that diet 'worked very well'. At least read the nutrition article and if you still think it isn't worth a one month trial then fine.

TowBoater
11-26-2007, 01:25 AM
I'll pass, I don't wanna buy anymore of that stuff man my fish like what they get now and have great color as it is.

kaianuanu
11-26-2007, 01:31 AM
what is NLS???????????? what does it stand for can someone post a picture of the label on NLS?

tropfish
11-26-2007, 01:35 AM
NLS is New life Spectrum and its a very good brand of fish food.

Lady Hobbs
11-26-2007, 01:38 AM
All the fry you have that you don't want to keep.

kaianuanu
11-26-2007, 01:40 AM
i'm not looking for variety just because.

i want a good treat for training.

i heard about feeding oscars snails as treats, is that ok, if so can i purcase them at stores?????

kaianuanu
11-26-2007, 01:52 AM
i don't have fry or room to raise fry

kaianuanu
11-26-2007, 01:54 AM
i feed my fish hikai chiclid staple, would hikari chiclid gold be better?

no i can't get NLS

TowBoater
11-26-2007, 02:04 AM
Can you get frozen? My cichlids don't care for snails at all but yours may. Hakari is a good food in my opinion, I have the gold and staple but they will only eat the sinking gold, don't spoil them to sinking pellets.:c1:

kaianuanu
11-26-2007, 02:12 AM
where do you get snails?

is bio-gold better than gold?

for the frozen, ican only get what petsmart and an a little bit more at a small family owned store.

does petsmart carry frozen?

sorry to bombard u with questions

TowBoater
11-26-2007, 02:33 AM
Questions are no problem, that is what this forum is here for is to ask questions.

You can get snails at any of them LFS probably.
I would feed both personally
You can probably get frozen at both stores

kaianuanu
11-26-2007, 03:08 AM
what does LFS stand for??? i don't know any acranyms eccept LOL
:1:

TowBoater
11-26-2007, 03:14 AM
Local Fish store is what it stands for.

kaianuanu
11-26-2007, 03:36 AM
are the snails 4 food or 2 clean the tanks???

TowBoater
11-26-2007, 03:38 AM
Like I said, I don't feed snails to anything so I don't know. I figure you feed the kind that reproduce like mad as treats and you can usually get them free from your LFS.

kaianuanu
11-26-2007, 03:49 AM
when i give them 2 my oscars should i crush their shells or just drop them in live?

TowBoater
11-26-2007, 12:06 PM
I would crush.

elGatoNegro63
11-26-2007, 01:16 PM
What I do is have a spare tank and buy a dozen feeder guppies and place in there. I put stress coat and aquarium salt in there with a bunch of live plants and super filtration. They reproduce like mad and are healthy. I never feed them to my big fish for at least a week to see if there is any disease.

Excellent idea Kuli. When I had my oscars, I used to keep a seperate 10g tank with feeder gold fish &/or rosie reds. I am not familiar with all the other foods that were mentioned in this thread. However, I believe (and perhaps a personal choice) that fish will do better with a variety of foods in their diet. In the wild, fish may generally eat one type of food...but when food is scarce: they normally will look to other forms of food as well. This is a survival thing, and it is okay to reproduce it here as well.

As far as a "treat for training" is concerned...although fish may have their preferences, I don't think that they are like dogs with that respect. Oscars are very intellegent fish (one of the smartest in the aquaria): and will be happy to perform for you. If you are able to link the food (any kind), with the desired behavior...you will be happy as well.

And lastly, regarding the snails. Getting snails in your tank is easy...just buy some plans, and you will most likely get some snails. I would just get a few common snails, and put them in the tank. They will grow and multiply quickly. I then just smash the large ones against the tank glass, and let the oscars eat them. But you should be sure that they do eat them (training). If they don't get eatten within a few minutes, you should siphon them out so that they don't pollute the water (something you should do for any non-live food).

I hope that this has been a help. Please understand that these suggestions are just my ideas and beliefs; and as such, you should get many ideas: then make up your own mind. You are (of course) free to do what you want. I take no responcibility for your ability or inability to do as I suggest. Because there are so many variables involved in fish keeping, you have to do what is right for your situation (I don't have enough information to make specific suggestions for your particular case).

Good luck, and happy aquaria...

Fishguy2727
11-26-2007, 01:55 PM
They will learn with any food given, it doesn't have to be different from their normal food.

In my experience oscars fed a diet that does not include NLS or Hikari Bio-Gold+ are much more likely to develop HLLE.

Even if the LFS does not carry NLS you should get it online, it is worth it. They will be colorful without it, but they will be much more colorful, healthier, live longer, and grow better with it. If you haven't yet you should check out the nutrition article for NLS on their website. I have the link in the last thread I started on NLS in the Diet section. Many other things work, but only one can work the best.

kaianuanu
11-26-2007, 10:26 PM
hey elgato your rirgt about how fish in the wild get a variety of foods but comercial foods are formulated to make up for what they do and don't get in the wild so they have more nessesary nutrients than foods found in the wild.

TowBoater
11-27-2007, 12:03 AM
I agree, get the variety and it would be more convenient for you.