PDA

View Full Version : Breeding tube out all the time?

Perfectangelstar
12-05-2015, 06:39 AM
I have six angelfish in a 55 gallon tank. I have one fish whose breeding tube stays out all the time and she is very aggressive! Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to help?

mommy1
12-05-2015, 11:28 AM
Are you sure it's the breeding tube and not a prolapse?

https://en.wikivet.net/Vent_Prolapse_-_Fish

Perfectangelstar
12-05-2015, 05:50 PM

Here is a picture.

mommy1
12-05-2015, 07:02 PM
When I had angels the breeding tubes would stay out for several days before they actually spawned. So it could be the tubes, but from the picture it looks a bit to small, unless it's just beginning to start the spawning behavior and it isn't out all the way yet. How old are these fish?

Perfectangelstar
12-06-2015, 04:41 AM
I've had them for about eight months. They were about the size of a quarter when I bought them. It has been out for about three weeks. It was poking out further a few days ago. I have not seen her cleaning or laying and she charges and fights with the other five fish. But she has done that since the day I brought them home. I have two older ones and she even tries to bully them and they are almost double her size.

angelcraze2
12-15-2015, 09:23 PM
What you are seeing is a gravid female. The breeding tube will be visible all the time to some degree, if she is continues to spawn. Especially if there is a male in the group, she is simply at breeding age.

Your older angels, are any females? Is this the first time you've seen this? Do you have any male angels for your gravid angel her to hook up with?

She will get very aggressive, this is all normal, and the other angels will learn to stay on the opposite side a from her. You could arrange the decor in a way to create a territory for her and a nice spawning ground, like a real or fake amazon sword, if there isn't already one.

angelcraze2
12-15-2015, 09:26 PM
So you have four younger angelfish, approaching breeding age and two older angelfish? I'm assuming the two older ones never paired off?

It gets tricky keeping that many angelfish in a 55g. If they are kept healthy, you will probably end up with a breeding pair. I am unclear as to whether you want that or not. The angelfish are the only fauna in the tank? Do you plan on keeping all of them, want a pair, just want a group who won't breed on you?