PDA

View Full Version : I see what looks like a cut / gash in the gill area of Angelfish

phyl0x
12-05-2015, 01:30 AM
Bought my first angelfish pair from Petsmart and noticed 2 days after I got it that there is a big gash on the right gill of the darker angelfish. It almost looks like its gills are coming out and looks almost painful. I do not know how in the heck it got cut there if it did or at what point. I took best pictures I can take if someone can figure it out. My water levels are 7.8 PH, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and about 3 PPM nitrate when i last checked. I do about 20-30% water change every few days with my 55 gallon. I actually did 30% water change after seeing the 3 PPM Nitrate. The other fish I have there are 3 young julie chichilds, two chinese algae eaters very small, 4 danio, and 10 ghost shrimp. I have quite a few plants growing in there, as well as a big piece of driftwood for it to hide if it needs to. Any clue what this is? The angelfish seems to act normal and follows the other one around. This is my first time with angelfish so I'm not sure if what I see as normal is normal to the expert eye.

I included some pictures and videos below.

https://youtu.be/cqWa9rx-OeE

DebinWhitmore
12-05-2015, 02:03 AM
It's hard to see their size, or I should say I can't judge their size. Could it have gotten torn when netted at the store? Sometimes larger fish are more difficult to net and or their gills being larger and stronger can get tangled in the net. Even if he is not showing symptoms, a tear could get infected. If you're not opposed to meds you might want to try a mild treatment as a preventative measure.

DebinWhitmore
12-05-2015, 02:04 AM
Also, the video must not be set to public, I was not able to view it.

phyl0x
12-05-2015, 02:53 AM
Also, the video must not be set to public, I was not able to view it.

It was set to unlisted so you should have been able to see it. I changed it to public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqWa9rx-OeE

Slaphppy7
12-05-2015, 04:28 AM
You have to "publish" the video for it to be viewable here.

phyl0x
12-05-2015, 07:22 AM
You have to "publish" the video for it to be viewable here.

The video was published already, not sure why no one can't see it. Forum keeps converting it to video, here is original url: youtube.com/watch?v=cqWa9rx-OeE

mommy1
12-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Since you don't know what happened to the operculum the only thing to do is keep watching the fish for signs of illness and/or secondary infection, and keep the water very clean so it will heal.

phyl0x
12-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Ok, so I mainly wanted to confirm that it is not normal and by what you are saying mommy1, it looks like not. Did the video ever end up working? I will try to get better video a little later today.

DebinWhitmore
12-05-2015, 04:02 PM
I went to youtube and found the video, but with the other markings on the fish, it was hard to tell if there was any cut on or near the gill. Angel fish have a very pronounced gill. Maybe try to check out other photos on the web of angel fish and make the picture very large around the gill area and see if it looks like yours.

Slaphppy7
12-05-2015, 04:19 PM
Did the video ever end up working?

Here is what I am seeing when I try to play the vid here on the AC

phyl0x
12-05-2015, 04:57 PM
Figured it out, it was because allow embedding was turned off. I just turned it on.

mommy1
12-05-2015, 07:04 PM
There is definitely something wrong with the operculum. Whether it's a deformity you didn't notice or a wound, I can't tell. Keep the water very clean and if it is a wound it will heal.

phyl0x
12-06-2015, 01:36 AM
I think this pic will help. Click on picture to see original version.

angelcraze2
12-16-2015, 08:10 PM
I saw the vid, but it was hard to tell by that, but zooming into the last pic you posted was pretty clear. Could it be part of the gill plate is missing?

It might be a deformity, meh, he/she is gorgeous nonetheless ;) or as mentioned already, nothing to worry about at this point, your fish looks very healthy otherwise, just keep your eye on it, and keep that water clean ;)

phyl0x
01-02-2016, 02:08 AM
I saw the vid, but it was hard to tell by that, but zooming into the last pic you posted was pretty clear. Could it be part of the gill plate is missing?

It might be a deformity, meh, he/she is gorgeous nonetheless ;) or as mentioned already, nothing to worry about at this point, your fish looks very healthy otherwise, just keep your eye on it, and keep that water clean ;)

Yes, it's been doing good. It seems to be the leader of the pack as well. Trying to figure out if i got lucky enough to have both male and female adult angelfish.

AmazonJoe
01-02-2016, 04:38 AM
The black one looks almost like a male...I'm looking at the bump development on the forehead..females will lack a bump and be nice and straight.

angelcraze2
01-06-2016, 08:15 PM
Yes, it's been doing good. It seems to be the leader of the pack as well. Trying to figure out if i got lucky enough to have both male and female adult angelfish.

That's great to hear your fish is doing well :) Good luck for your breeding project! Imo, I'd say the darker marble angelfish is a male, and the white gold marble is a female. But it's always hard to tell until you see them spawning. Did you say you bought a pair from Petsmart? We're they sold as a pair?

Reasons for guessing gender
1) the sharp angle at the anal fin on the male
2)vice versa for the female, the angle is more sloped
3)she looks plumper in the right area.

Idk, I'd have to look again closely for clues, but the lighter angel just looks like a female to me.

angelcraze2
01-06-2016, 09:23 PM
I've kept angelfish for a decade now, I've seen a lot of pairings, divorces, new relationships, some that just stick to their partner and that's it....raised fry that grew up and paired....and I still get tricked sometimes with gender.

If you have a pair, or they become a pair, you might see:
-The male angelfish may ram a few times into the abdominal area of the female angelfish to encourage ovulation. The female angelfish will generally not swim away, but swim with nose slightly tilted upward, and just let him push her back just a bit. They will be facing eachother when this happens.
-They will start to clean a spawning site by pecking at it. It would be good to provide a vertical surface for them to spawn on, like a piece of slate leaning on an aquarium wall, or if you say your tank is heavily planted, they will love a broad leaved plant with vertical leaves, like a large amazon sword. You can also use an artificial one. But without spawning site options, you run a higher chance they will lay their eggs on something you don't want them to, like a filter intake, or worse, heater.
-When they start to clean an area to spawn on, you may see indications of their spawning tubes. There is a sticky for sexing angelfish at the top of this forum section with pics.
-You may notice the pair courting prior to spawning, but your fish are def. old enough to spawn, I can tell by their size width-wise, so they may already be a pair and are done with the courting.
-You may notice the pair becoming more aggressive, especially when they choose a spawning site in your tank, and will defend the area. Generally, I have seen the male guard a wider circumference of territory, and the female stays closer to the eggs.

phyl0x
01-08-2016, 06:12 AM
Hmm, not sure if they'll have any opportunity to spawn or keep their eggs with loaches, julie chichlids, ghost shrimp, and some danios in the same tank. Thoughts? The only other tank I have is a 10 gallon tank. I'm considering actually getting a 20-25 now.

angelcraze2
01-11-2016, 09:32 PM
You never know. They will need practice first though. Generally by the third spawn, if they are going to be parent-raisers, they'll get it right. You will have to remove the wigglers or free-swimmers (I suggest some, not all, so your fish view you as a predator.) They may not be able to protect the little free-swimmers when they start to veer off and investigate, but they will certainly try if they want to reproduce.

A 29g, if they are for certainty a pair would be perfect to hopefully observe a pair of angels taking care of their young.

But if you don't care about parent-raisers, you can just steal the eggs out of the community tank and raise them artificially.

angelcraze2
01-11-2016, 09:39 PM
I also see the loaches eating the eggs at night-once they get the taste for it. I watched my female BN pleco eat angelfish eggs as soon as they were lain. But....you never know. Idk much about jewel ciclids, they are quite aggressive usually, but different cichlids seem to stay out of eachother's way-most often-especially at breeding time, and if both fish occupy a different strata, there is s chance they spawn in the community tank nonetheless. I've noticed angelfish will lay their eggs high in the community tank. They do this for a reason.....fish are smarter than the credit they are given.