PDA

View Full Version : looking for nice LED panel suggestions?

Crispy
11-30-2015, 09:43 PM
ok, I'm a noob when it comes to planted aquariums and lighting so would like to throw this out there for the lighting guys. I have a 72"x36" footprint and a 72"x24" footprint. would like to do low-tech planted in both and could use some direction on a nice LED panel for both. I want something with RGB LEDs with remote (to bring out optimal fish colour). any help pointing me in the right direction would be great. I have no problem building a kit either if it saves me alot. :fish:

Crispy
11-30-2015, 11:10 PM
was looking at this model...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Current-USA-Satellite-Plus-PRO-LED-Light-Fixture-48-60-/141839196714?hash=item210646622a:g:0AMAAOSw8-tWWRhJ

BluewaterBoof
11-30-2015, 11:26 PM
The Satellites are really fun. Myself and some other members here have some on our tanks. The issue I see with that fixture that you linked is that it isn't long enough for your tanks. The light itself is only about 48" long, with the legs extending out to 60".

If your tanks have center braces with two openings, I suggest getting two of the 36" models and placing one over each opening. If you get a single 48" and center it, you're going to end up with a foot on each end of your tank without good lighting. Any plants that you stick near the sides of the tank will suffer, and the ones that do grow will lean over towards the light.

But the light is a great fixture. Has lots of cool dynamic modes and is strong enough to grow most plants :)

gronlaura
12-01-2015, 12:10 AM
I would go with the new Finnex 24/7 planted vs the Current. I have 2 of the Current USA Freshwater Satellite LED+ units that have failed within 18-26 months. Extremely bad c/s from Current.

Crispy
12-01-2015, 12:40 AM
thanks for the input! I do have 2 braces across the top of both tanks. buying 2x 36" fixtures seems much more expensive. I'm not too worried about planting the sides since both tanks have sand substrate. the plants would all be growing on driftwood closer to the middle and they are all low-light plants.

will look into the finnex fixtures aswell!