PDA

View Full Version : opinions on housing dwarf cichlid with celestial pearl danios

sasserz
11-26-2015, 12:30 AM
First off, apologies if this thread is not in the correct spot, I'm brand new and slightly confused! I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on housing a pair of german blue and german gold rams with a small school of celestial pearl danios? I'm DETERMINED to have these danios but they're not a good fit with the inhabitants of the two tanks we already have- so we're going to get another. I know the dwarf cichlids are peaceful but I just want to make sure everyone is happy.

The new tank will most likely be an Innovative Marine Fusion Lagoon 50 (30x24x16 but that includes the filtration system since it's a uniquarium). I know the rams like a slightly acidic pH but I'm torn since I've read that most people don't suggest altering pH as you can get spikes-their advice is that a steady pH slightly outside of the optimal is better than trying to adjust pH every water change. Our tap is about 7.5. It will be planted and have wood, but I'd love to add lava rocks if that won't change the pH too much. I also have lace rock which I'm soaking in a bucket to see how it affects the pH over the course of a few days. With so many opinions and contradicting advice it's hard to know what to do!

steeler58
11-26-2015, 01:08 AM
pH is a little high for both species but compatible wise, the two would go together fine ;-)

Welcome to the forum ;-)

Anders247
11-26-2015, 01:12 AM
Welcome to the forum!
CPDs actually need cooler temps than rams....

steeler58
11-26-2015, 01:19 AM
Well yeah, I was thinking the CPD could go to the lowest temp for the rams.........

sasserz
11-26-2015, 01:35 AM
Is 72-74 an alright temperature for both? I know I can add peat to the tank to lower the pH I'm just concerned with water changes and how pH may flux. Is it a pain or not advisable to adjust pH for each bucket of new water added?

steeler58
11-26-2015, 01:43 AM
Too low for the rams I'm afraid.

madagascariensis
11-26-2015, 06:37 AM
what about bolivian rams instead of blue rams? They're much hardier in any condition, tolerate higher pH values and lower temperatures better. They're also very docile to other non-cichlid tank inhabitants (never had issues with even the smallest baby guppies). They do get a bit bigger though.

sasserz
11-26-2015, 12:49 PM
I've considered bolivians. I'm just partial to the german blues. I just checked out YUNITE SDRAMS website and saw that they keep their tanks between 82°F-84°F and pH between 7.3-7.8. Too warm for the CPDs so I may just have to scratch having them right now. bummer!

Anders247
11-27-2015, 04:56 PM
Yes, bummer. You could have a dwarf gourami instead.....

solange
02-06-2019, 09:21 PM
In this dispute, I believe that free essays (https://studentshare.org/) the best solution always helps.

Slaphppy7
02-06-2019, 10:43 PM
LMAO!!!

:hmm3grin2orange:

How so, please enlighten us.