PDA

View Full Version : Please help my pleco! Ich? Worms?

hanihoney36
11-22-2007, 04:15 AM
Oh, please, please help! I'm worried sick! I have only one fish. My pleco is about 3 years old. He just developed white spots, which I'm assuming is Ich? But also now he has some kind of worm or something hanging near his anus. I'm so worried! He's my baby! I've been struggling with water quality ever since I've been feeding him zucchini 3-4 times a week- he just loves it. In addition he gets some algae tablets. What's wrong with my little fella and how can I help him???

Again, he's my only fish, so he couldn't have "caught" something from a new fish and any treatment will only affect him. He doesn't have any ulcers or redness. He's acting normal. He's eating and hanging on the side of his tank, sometimes at the bottom, isn't thrashing or lethargic. He doesn't seem to be have labored breathing. Also I read that an anchor worm is rare and must be brought in by an infected fish added to tank, but my fella is all by himself-I don't have any other fish. Any ideas What should I do? I raised his temp to 82, did a small water change last night, took out all his decor, carbon filter and added quick cure, but the spots are still there and so is the "worm"....Thanks for helping!

cocoa_pleco
11-22-2007, 04:46 AM
what size tank is he in?

keep the water REALLY clean, and add melafix and pimafix. if possible, manually take out the worm with tweezers.

any more questions feel free to ask!

TowBoater
11-22-2007, 05:02 AM
Stress coat and aquarium salt. Do water changes but add water as you take out to prevent the stress of changing water levels.

cocoa_pleco
11-22-2007, 05:22 AM
Stress coat and aquarium salt. Do water changes but add water as you take out to prevent the stress of changing water levels.

plecos are sensitive to salt though, and only a 1/4-1/2 dose is safe

hanihoney36
11-22-2007, 06:14 AM
Right now he's only in a 15 gallon...I know I have to get him a bigger one...he's about 9" long...he's the only fish in the tank also. Should I clean his tank? I normally take everything out, rinse the rock gravel and do a 50% water change every few months...I just did this about 7 weeks ago. He's starting to thrash some...I don't know if any place will be open tomorrow!!!

Lady Hobbs
11-22-2007, 08:32 AM
Oh My gosh.

That pleco needs to be moved into a larger tank so he can act like a pleco. That's like you living your life in a closet. They need hiding places and wood and dark spaces.

Water changes should be done weekly not every few months. That white spot looks like fungus to me.

Pleco's grow to at foot and sometimes more. If you really love him, you'll give him to someone who can make the room for him.

gm72
11-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Right now he's only in a 15 gallon...I know I have to get him a bigger one...he's about 9" long...he's the only fish in the tank also. Should I clean his tank? I normally take everything out, rinse the rock gravel and do a 50% water change every few months...I just did this about 7 weeks ago. He's starting to thrash some...I don't know if any place will be open tomorrow!!!

This needs to be said: This is terribly bad fish keeping practice. A 50% water change needs to be done at least once weekly, especially in such horrible conditions such as this. That pleco needs at least a 55 gallon tank. If you are unable to provide adequate conditions, please see if you can take the fish to a local shop for store credit. You need to act quickly or the fish will die, guaranteed.

If you do the right thing you will give the fish away and start researching a bit on fish keeping. Start with the free ebook on the menu to your left. Then research the fish you wish to keep and come here for further guidance.

TowBoater
11-22-2007, 03:55 PM
I agree with the above statements, that is a horrible place for a pleco to be in.

cocoa_pleco
11-22-2007, 04:09 PM
Mr. pleco is living in Mr. Crawlspace! he needs a bigger tank. at 9", he should have a 55g. i would move him quick before his growth gets stunted

TowBoater
11-22-2007, 04:11 PM
I think a common pleco needs at least a 150g to get full grown and be healthy.