PDA

View Full Version : New Amazon Biotope 55g

AmazonJoe
11-14-2015, 05:29 PM
Check it out everyone new setup. only few fish so far to establish good Bacteria Colonies.. And please please critique! :thumbup:

DebinWhitmore
11-14-2015, 07:30 PM
Nice sized tank, you may want to start a thread in the Aquarium Journals section since this is a newer build you have going. You'll get a lot of views over there and you can update us as you go along. Couple of comments: 1) are you doing a "fish in" cycle" and have you read the cycling forum for the fish in cycles? 2) In the future since this tank sits right in front of a window, you might want to consider getting a background or painting the back of the tank to help with algae later down the road. It thrives on sunlight.

luke77
11-14-2015, 07:43 PM
Your definitely gonna need more driftwood and rock. Add some Amazon swords too, they will really make it look more like an Amazon tank. Also it looks like you have a penguin 350 for filtration. I would add another to the other side.

AmazonJoe
11-15-2015, 01:32 AM
Hey thanks for the replies! Yea I have two different swords there just small at the moment. However I thought the window was ideal for more growth and I could cut it off when need be. Or get a few more Otto's. I also have a hydor 1600 prime in hidden in the background :) I cycled the tank with a batch of guppies for a month or so until levels raised then started lowering

DebinWhitmore
11-15-2015, 01:47 AM
Hey thanks for the replies! Yea I have two different swords there just small at the moment. However I thought the window was ideal for more growth and I could cut it off when need be. Or get a few more Otto's. I also have a hydor 1600 prime in hidden in the background :) I cycled the tank with a batch of guppies for a month or so until levels raised then started lowering

WRT the algae, your plants will help with the algae and complete with them and the algae will die off, however that comes after you have dense and substantial plants. I don't grow live plants in my aquarium so I am far from expert, however this is based on my previous readings about those who do.

Sorry if I missed it but what are your water parameters?

AmazonJoe
11-15-2015, 04:27 AM
WRT the algae, your plants will help with the algae and complete with them and the algae will die off, however that comes after you have dense and substantial plants. I don't grow live plants in my aquarium so I am far from expert, however this is based on my previous readings about those who do.

Sorry if I missed it but what are your water parameters?

Yea I've never grown live plant's before. They have been in the tank for about two months with
lots of new growth! I have sand/small gravel mix using liquid feed once a week. Water is 80° PH- 6-7 gh-7-8. Im using test strips right now ill get a master kit eventually.