PDA

View Full Version : Which moss to choose?

WhistlingBadger
11-12-2015, 07:10 PM
Hi, all. I have a 55g Walstad-style tank I'm about to set up--soil-under-sand substrate, moderate current, very heavily planted, moderate to highish light. Should have a decent amount of CO2, but not a lot in the way of nutrients in the water.

I would really like to try my hand at moss again, to attach to some driftwood and my backdrop. But I'm new to mosses, and I'm a bit stumped what to pick. A little natural spreading would be nice, but I don't need it to take over the tank. I am going for a ruins-reclaimed-by-the-jungle look. I like the lush, fern-like greenery, and I hear mosses make good spots for shrimp to hang out.

The pet store can get the following kinds for me:
Flame
Java
Anchor
Christmas
Willow
Taiwan

To be honest, the all sort of look about the same to me. Any ideas or suggestions? Any that I should avoid? I'd kind of like to get a couple different kinds and see what works.

Thanks, as always! Tom

Boundava
11-12-2015, 08:02 PM
From my experience the java and xmas get out of hand very quickly once established. They go everywhere. I also have flame moss and it has been growing very well on the cholla wood I tied it to, and only that wood. I would vote flame moss.

SueD
11-13-2015, 01:21 AM
I have Christmas moss and I like it a lot. It does grow very fast though, so will need some trimming every couple of months. I just got a $25 credit at my LFS for the excess moss I brought them.

WhistlingBadger
11-13-2015, 02:42 AM
To, flame moss is good; Christmas moss is good but keep an eye on it so it doesn't take over. That might not be a bad thing--I'm the only person I know who managed to kill Java moss! ha ha ha

Any other pointers?

Boundava
11-13-2015, 04:59 AM
Well what I sent you with the assassins is "xmass" moss, it does need due diligence and if you are going to have a current it will break off and cover the tank in no time-that happened to me in the 75 as well as the 20L. It got stuck in the bases of the plants, on the substrate, in the filter intakes, and siphon during water changes as well as in my circulation pumps. Months after removing it from the 75, I would still find strays here and there. I guess I have the "pesky" version of xmass moss. :doh:

the flame moss I have has grown bigger, but hasn't broken away into bits and pieces and clumps and covered the tank in the 10 or 20 the way the xmass moss did.

WhistlingBadger
11-13-2015, 02:08 PM
Good to know. Anybody tried Taiwan moss? It looks kind of cool--more horizontal, more fern-like, than flam moss' vertical growth.

WhistlingBadger
11-16-2015, 10:51 PM
So, I'm leaning toward flame moss on the wood, and either Taiwan or Christmas (some people seem to think they are the same species) on the backdrop. I'm kind of intrigued by anchor moss, too, since the little info I can find says it's more compact...but it isn't as pretty as Christmas/Taiwan.

Any other recommendations?

Anyone? Anyone? 43639

Boundava
11-16-2015, 11:08 PM
I always wanted to try Phoenix moss.

WhistlingBadger
11-16-2015, 11:29 PM
Me too! Pretty stuff. But my LFS can't get it.

Boundava
11-16-2015, 11:40 PM
I agree I think Taiwan and Christmas Mass at the same thing. They will do well on the background wall, or you can try a java moss wall. My Christmas Moss wall got so out of hand that my sister just decided to pull them both down in my 10 and 20 gallon tanks.

Think I still have a bunch if your interested.

WhistlingBadger
11-18-2015, 12:47 AM
So, Nat and Sue, you both have high tech tanks, right? Mine will be a Walstad build, no CO2 (except what nature will provide), moderate-to-high light, but most of the wall is going to be fairly shaded. Also, I'm going for a Jungle-style scape, tons of plants, including floaters. That means not many nutrients in the water. So, with all that, I'm guessing the Christmas/Taiwan would be a lot slower? I don't really want it to take over my whole wall or anything...just to stay put and grow.

Lots of questions; new things scare me a little. :)

WhistlingBadger
11-18-2015, 01:36 AM
Also, my LFS said it comes in a 3" x 2" cup. I'm guessing that amounts to a LOT of moss--probably two cups would be enough for healthy patches on my driftwood and a few healthy patches on the back wall. Sound right?

Boundava
11-18-2015, 04:03 AM
So, Nat and Sue, you both have high tech tanks, right? Mine will be a Walstad build, no CO2 (except what nature will provide), moderate-to-high light, but most of the wall is going to be fairly shaded. Also, I'm going for a Jungle-style scape, tons of plants, including floaters. That means not many nutrients in the water. So, with all that, I'm guessing the Christmas/Taiwan would be a lot slower? I don't really want it to take over my whole wall or anything...just to stay put and grow.

Lots of questions; new things scare me a little. :)

If you mean CO2 then no, I used to run it on the 75, but after numerous "oopps" and issues with the regulator being set correctly, having 1-2 bps and an hour later having fish suffocating to death and a stream of bubbles like you wouldn't believe; I gave it up cold turkey. I never had it in the 10 or 20 tanks either, just the really good Finnex planted + lights on the little tanks and weekly Seachem fertilizers (Flourish, Excel, Fe; occasionally/bi-weekly/monthly (as needed) K, Ph, and N). I have been dosing the same in the 75-originally started with the planted +, it died and I replaced it with the planted+ 24/7 light, and just upped the Excel to 2x a week. Plants are all okay, flame moss in the 10/20 are great. The xmass moss went so crazy my sis just removed it from both tanks and gave most of it away to fellow posters on another forum (they covered the shipping). She gave it out in fistfulls, lol. Still have some in a bucket.

WhistlingBadger
11-18-2015, 01:39 PM
ell, I'll give it a shot...if it gets too bad I can always get rid of it. Wish me luck! :) And thanks for all the help, as always!

Boundava
11-18-2015, 02:53 PM
Good luck and get some pics when you get it in and up...