PDA

View Full Version : Swords are hurting

Wookster
10-31-2015, 12:56 AM
Not sure what I'm doing wrong but my swords are not doing good. Here are some ideas what I think might be happening, any advice is appreciated:

1. Bladder snails and ramshorn snails are snacking. I removed 1 bladder and 2 rams today. Was told they shouldn't eat the swords but now I'm questioning.

2. Over/under dosing. I don't have a strict schedule but I am dosing seachem flourish, trace, iron and potassium roughly according to bottle directions.

3. Light intensity. These swords get within a few inches of the light. It's a Current usa 18" planted LED+. Could this be too close?

My water params are normal with no nitrite, no ammonia and nitrate at roughly 5ppm. I will check again tomorrow since I just did a wc today. I also inject co2 at about 2 bps and this is a 20g tank. There is a bit of brown algae that I've been struggling with for a couple months.

The anubias is also starting to yellow on the edges but I've always had alot of new offshoots on the Java fern and amazon swords.

Thanks for helping out. This is my first planted tank and has been going good for 8 months until recently.

dwarfguy
10-31-2015, 02:12 AM
Put a root tab by the sword. Yellowing of older leaves is often nitrogen, 5 ppm is pretty low, which is good, but the fastest growing plants may get it all. Is the rhizome on.the anubias buried? I can't see it.

Wookster
10-31-2015, 05:49 PM
Put a root tab by the sword. Yellowing of older leaves is often nitrogen, 5 ppm is pretty low, which is good, but the fastest growing plants may get it all. Is the rhizome on.the anubias buried? I can't see it.
I may be a little lax on my flourish dosing so I will try some root tabs...thanks. there are definitely some small brown holes so I removed the snails, just left my big MS who doesn't chomp them at all.

no the rhizome is not buried. It did well for months and then I did a rescape and attached the anubias to the dw leaving the rhizome right on top of the sub. Since then, it's started to yellow. I rarely vac the eco sub so there should be plenty of nutrients in there. Been meaning to try out the diy tabs anyway.

dwarfguy
10-31-2015, 08:29 PM
Pinholes can also be potassium deficiency. But hard for me to say.

dwarfguy
10-31-2015, 08:36 PM
43329maybe this will help

Cliff
10-31-2015, 09:46 PM
There are a few other threads here that also might help

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=120410

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=32062

Wookster
11-01-2015, 05:33 AM
Thanks guys! Looks like it might be several deficiencies. Going to reevaluate my dosing schedule and try some diy root tabs.