PDA

View Full Version : Amazon sword

Coney
10-29-2015, 04:01 PM
Hello guys.

I had a sword plant in my cycling tank and an apple snail ate everything except for one leaf. I got my LED lights on saturday and today I can see what looks like new growth on the sword.

My question is, are swords this easy to grow or is it an indication that my LED lights are actually working the way they should and that I didnt buy crap lights? Or does the LED light have nothing to do with it at all?

Boundava
10-29-2015, 04:17 PM
IME swords are fairly easy to grow, they do appreciate root ferts and moderate light-not too high because you can get algae on their leaves. My plecos used to rasp the Amazon plant leaves to lace when I had a bunch of Amazons in my 29 gallon tank. I currently have an Amazon in my 75 gallon, it was a stowaway with a group of plants I bought for the 5 gallon tank and I quickly realized what it was and moved it. I have 2 huge mystery snails and 2 small mystery snails and they haven't bothered it at all, those snails usually only eat dead/decaying plant matter.

So yes they are easy, yes lighting is important and yes it seems you have good lights for it to be picking up like this with 2 new leaves.

Make sure you give your snail some food so it picks that vs the sword.

Coney
10-29-2015, 04:28 PM
So this is no indication of my lights then? How will I know if my lights are doing what they are supposed to do? I am so worried I bought something that is not going to work!

I had my snail Id'd, it was the spawn of satan I tell you!

I went from this, to what you saw above. keep in mind its still a new tank.

Snail was a "pomecea canaliculata"

http://applesnail.net/content/specie...naliculata.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomacea_canaliculata

Boundava
10-29-2015, 04:34 PM
Wow, I didn't know you could buy apple snails for aquariums. I hope you re-homed it because it is a plant eater and will keep doing so.

BTW you light should be fine the new leaves look good.

RiversGirl
10-29-2015, 05:09 PM
Your sword's new growth is very promising, indeed! I'm glad for you.

Coney
10-29-2015, 05:30 PM
Wow, I didn't know you could buy apple snails for aquariums.

How else do you get them? Thanks for the reassurance on the light, I really hope it was worth it.

Thanks RiversGirl thumbs2:

Slaphppy7
10-29-2015, 05:41 PM
From this excellent website: http://applesnail.net/

"Are mystery snails also apple snails? Or are they different types of snails?
A: In some sources the name apple snail and mystery snail are considered to be synonyms for the snails of the family Ampullariidae. The name apple snail refers to there size, colour and form, while the name mystery snail comes from the fact that the aquarium market didn't know what kind of snail it was or where it came from, so it was a mystery (snail) for them.
In other sources, the mystery snails are described as snails from the family Viviparidae. The snails from this family look very similar to the snails from the family Ampullariidae, but they do lack a lung and labial tentacles and are livebearing snails (hence the name Viviparidae).
Most snails sold as 'mystery snails' in the shops are Pomacea diffusa snails.
Related: 'Species' section."

Boundava
10-29-2015, 06:28 PM
I always took the pomecea canaliculata as the typical apple snail. When I see a mystery snail for sale in a LFS or online they are always something that (IME) seems to belong in the pomacea diffusa. Hence my surprise at your pomecea canaliculata.

Slaphppy7
10-29-2015, 06:30 PM
The ones that are MEANT to be sold for aquaria are the diffusa...your typical LFS cares not which they sell you, I'm betting

Boundava
10-29-2015, 06:34 PM
I had "mystery" snails for close to 20 years and have never had a pomecea canaliculata -they never ate my live plants like this one appears to have done, or got bigger than golf ball size before passing-eggs were always a light pink color.

RiversGirl
10-29-2015, 06:45 PM
I thought I read something about the pomecea canaliculata being illegal to sell in some states. I believe they are a problematic, invasive species in some areas (like Florida).

Slaphppy7
10-29-2015, 06:49 PM
http://www.anstaskforce.gov/spoc/applesnail.php

Boundava
10-29-2015, 08:22 PM
Yeah, this is why I was surprised that he had one and was able to buy it however he got it-I think a LFS

How else do you get them? Thanks for the reassurance on the light, I really hope it was worth it.

:shrug: I have never seen them for sale.

RiversGirl
10-29-2015, 10:04 PM
Yeah, this is why I was surprised that he had one and was able to buy it however he got it-I think a LFS

:shrug: I have never seen them for sale.

I guess lfs in South Africa still sell these snails.

Coney
10-30-2015, 06:50 PM
I guess lfs in South Africa still sell these snails.

Yes, I dont think they worry about what species they sell or they dont know how to ID them. "What not to expect from your fish store"

Coney
10-31-2015, 08:32 AM
This sword is growing at an alarming rate! Compare this to 2 days ago thumbs2:

My only worry is the smaller new leaf looks like it has holes in it, does it seem okay?

Coney
10-31-2015, 11:23 PM
How long should my lights be on for? I think it might be on for too long at the moment. They go on at 5:00 AM and switch off at 8:00 PM. Thats 15 hours, seems a bit long to me.

Going on at 5:00 AM is probably not bad but what time should they go off then? Maybe let them go on later so they can switch off later because one obviously want to see whats going on when home at night?

Coney
11-02-2015, 02:02 PM
How long should my lights be on for? I think it might be on for too long at the moment. They go on at 5:00 AM and switch off at 8:00 PM. Thats 15 hours, seems a bit long to me.

Going on at 5:00 AM is probably not bad but what time should they go off then? Maybe let them go on later so they can switch off later because one obviously want to see whats going on when home at night?

Anybody that can help?

Slaphppy7
11-02-2015, 02:20 PM
8 hours is usually plenty of light for a tank; just depends on what's in it.

That being said, mine stay on around 15 hours a day, too, but not at full intensity

Coney
11-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Will dial down my daytime brightness a bit then, thanks.