PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone

JamesT
09-24-2015, 02:02 PM
I'm totally new at fish keeping, and hoping to call upon some seasoned Aquarists for some much needed guidance. I have 2 kids who are very excited, a 6 and 8 year old. We have spent much time lately visiting the local pet stores admiring the different types of fish. The kids want Nemo, but Dad's not ready for that yet so I will be going with a fresh water aquarium. I'm looking at a 75 gallon tank stocked with typical beginner fish, tetra's, gouramies, a few angel's, etc. I am also considering building the stand for the tank. I have plenty of room for the aquarium, and like the idea of a deeper tank for placement of living plants and decorations, and to provide the fish with more room. I've done some reading about getting started and have a basic understanding, but there is soooo much more I need to know. Thats why I've joined your community.

First question that comes to mind is filtration, or more so the curent caused by the FX6 by Fluval. Staff at the Pet store say it will be fine on a 75 gallon tank, but I'm not so sure.
Is it too powerful for a tank of this size. 925 gal/hr, and suitable for a 400 gal tank. I read some where the tank should cycle 3-6 times and hour, this is like 12 times. This unit is well reviewed, and has some great features and those that have it seem to love it. Thoughts, suggestions, recomendations most welcomed. I have not bought anything yet, but am itching to get started. Thanks

William
09-24-2015, 02:03 PM
Hi and welcome to AC. We are happy to have you here!

Slaphppy7
09-24-2015, 02:07 PM
Welcome to the AC, great folks and info here :22:

You'll do better with your questions if you begin a new thread in the journals or beginner's section.

Boundava
09-24-2015, 03:06 PM
Welcome, I know you will learn a lot here.

I have a 75 gallon set up and have 2 Eheim 2217 canister filters-each rated for 159 gallons. My tank has over 130 fish (built up over months) including 3 small and one medium size pleco which have a bigger impact on the bio-load and need more filtration. I would agree with you that the FX6 would be overkill-rated for up to 400 gallons. I like overkill with filtration-but that (even to me) is a bit much and a big expense.

Many-like me, have dual filters set up on their tanks. One method is a hang-on-back (HOB) filter and a great brand is Aqua Clear (or Fluval aquaclear as they have been recently re-labeled) and a canister filter-if you like Fluval then the 306 or 406 are feasible options. This way if something should ever go wrong your tanks has a backup filter going that is big enough to handle the tank temporarily while you fix the issue or get a replacement.

This is just the "introduce yourself" section though, you should start a Journal and describe you set up and any questions there and many will reply with their :twocents:

JamesT
09-24-2015, 03:36 PM
Welcome to the AC, great folks and info here :22:

You'll do better with your questions if you begin a new thread in the journals or beginner's section.

ok, will do.

BettaFuyo
09-24-2015, 03:48 PM
Welcome to paradise.

DebinWhitmore
09-25-2015, 02:20 AM
Welcome James T, great place to get an education for all things fish related. I'll be looking for your journal to follow along.

JasonH
09-25-2015, 03:20 AM
Welcome to AC!

steeler58
09-25-2015, 03:55 AM
Welcome to the forum ;-)

gadget228
09-25-2015, 08:45 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

RiversGirl
09-25-2015, 01:59 PM
Welcome to the AC! This place is a wonderful resource and I'm looking forward to seeing you about the forum! My kids have gotten so much out of our fish experience. It is terrific that yours are excited as well.
I'll also be watching for your new thread and looking forward to watching you begin your fishless cycle.
Cheers!

Cliff
09-26-2015, 05:20 PM
Welcome to the forum