PDA

View Full Version : emmersed anubias

kid_fishboy13
11-21-2007, 04:36 AM
i may be converting my 30gal. into a firebelly toad pond(it sprung a leak a 1/4 way up). im wondering if anubius can grow emmersed, with only the first inch or so of the stem submerged or does it have to be mostly under water

cocoa_pleco
11-21-2007, 04:41 AM
i dont know the answer, but congrats on the toads!

you could have about 10 toads in a 33g

kid_fishboy13
11-21-2007, 05:40 AM
i that it being a 30 hex, i wont be able to have quite that number, but hey, i thought i could only have 1(havent yet researched)

Lady Hobbs
11-21-2007, 05:51 AM
I have a site that says they grow huge when grown as a bog plant. I want to try it myself.

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Plant,%20Anubias.htm

This site, to read it totally, takes days. It has absolutely everything on it including turtles, frogs, snakes, etc. Awesome info.

cocoa_pleco
11-21-2007, 05:57 AM
usually in standard tanks the rules one toad per 3g, but you need at least a 10g, you cant have one in a 3g.

in a 33g hex, i would say get 4-5.

i can give you some tips on the toads-

-to prevent arthritis, have a slope of substrate for a running pad, and enough water for them to bathe in (NO pea sized gravel, they may eat and choke on it). or what i do is i only have 3" of water so that they can run, yet be in water up to their necks. some people also just have a bowl of water for them to bathe in, and use the rest of the tank for running

-the best food for them is crickets, and i just put in about 10 every 3 days for mine

-most often it is unsafe to use a heater in as shallow water as they need, so a heater is not recommended.

-if youre not using filtration, do a 100% WC every 2 weeks. if you do have a filter (fluval submersible filters flipped sideways work well), do a 100% WC ever month

-firebelly toads are very hardy, so they are a good starter pet!

kid_fishboy13
11-21-2007, 06:05 AM
I have a site that says they grow huge when grown as a bog plant. I want to try it myself.

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Plant,%20Anubias.htm

This site, to read it totally, takes days. It has absolutely everything on it including turtles, frogs, snakes, etc. Awesome info.
yeah, i should know. i spent a whole weekend trudging through that sight a couple months ago. 48 hrs of constant reading and i was still only about half done, probably less

(shudders in memory)

EDIT:ps thanks for saving me that extra reading, Cocoa. let it be known, im a slow reader

Lady Hobbs
11-21-2007, 06:07 AM
Can't stay it doesn't have the information. Must have taken forever to put it all together. I wish they had shopping online, tho.

cocoa_pleco
11-22-2007, 03:04 AM
no prob. i hate reading bunched up paragraphs, so for alot of info i just use bullet form sentences to make it easier.

right now my 3 toads are in a hagen 10g cube terrarium, and theyre doing well. ive had them for about a year, and a few years ago i had tons of them.

CAF
11-26-2007, 02:18 PM
To answer the question... yes.

Slowly let the plant come out of the water by evaporation so it adapts to being emersed and then you are good to go.