PDA

View Full Version : Trimming/Propagating anubias

DrNic
09-14-2015, 06:21 PM
I've got a large piece of decor in the center of my 75G that has a number of anubias growing on it with long rhizomes (8-10 inches). There are a few bare areas that I'd like to plant and was considering trimming down the ends of the anubias rhizomes. I've never propagated anubias like this in the past. If I clip off 2-3 inches of the growing end of the rhizome will the plant survive? I don't want to damage the parent plants if I don't have to. Thanks for the help!

Slaphppy7
09-14-2015, 06:49 PM
I've never kept anubias, but if they are anything like java fern, trimming the rhizome will cause no harm

Boundava
09-14-2015, 06:51 PM
So long as the trimmed rhizome has some roots and/or leaves it should grow.

mermaidwannabe
09-14-2015, 09:56 PM
You're probably aware that if you plant the new divisions into the substrate, to only bury the roots and not the rhizomes, themselves ... In case you didn't know that, I've now informed you. Or, you can attach them to something else in the tank.

DrNic
09-14-2015, 11:23 PM
I've grown them before and know enough not to plant the rhizome under the soil I generally just let them crawl around a rock and eventually sell it off and start over. This is the first time I've considered pruning the plant to cover additional bare spots. thumbs2: