PDA

View Full Version : Food for developing show guppies

Blue Guppy
11-20-2007, 11:57 PM
I have been trying it for years but can't seem to get even close to what local petshops sells.

Is there a standard feeding technique to develop beautiful male guppies? I am currently focusing on developing a pure half black and a pure blue veil-tail guppy or a blue snakeskin guppy.

I have done the usual of selective breeding and still cannot get the results I want.

My typical feeding regimen for the fish are:

morning : live adult brine shrimps for bigger juveniles
micro worms for smaller ones
late afternoon (after work): live adult brine shrimps for bigger juveniles
micro worms for smaller ones
late evening: Wardley's fish flakes.

cocoa_pleco
11-21-2007, 12:01 AM
i used to have show guppies, and you should give them hikari and NLS

Blue Guppy
11-21-2007, 12:11 AM
Cocoa_Pleco,

What is NLS? With regards to hikari, are those that come in small size (round) pellets?

Thanks

cocoa_pleco
11-21-2007, 12:36 AM
NLS is new life spectrum food, the best possible, i would recommend getting NLS flakes for the guppies.

Algenco
11-21-2007, 01:16 AM
NLS flakes and spirulina flake, guppies are grazers and need lots of greens

gm72
11-21-2007, 01:20 AM
NLS all the way.

Blue Guppy
11-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Thank you all for the advice. Will try this out and see how it goes. Will replace the Wardley flakes with the NLS and Spirulina flakes. I have about 30 4 week old juveniles and hopefully its not yet too late to alter their colors. Hopefully to post some pictures of the fishes maybe after 3 more weeks.

TowBoater
11-21-2007, 04:13 PM
NLS is good but I feed a lot of Hakari to my feeder guppies and they turn out fine, a lot have colors on them when they are not suppose to.

Blue Guppy
11-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Besides feeding NLS and Hikari pellets, will increased live adult Brine Shrimps feedings contribute to brilliant colors? Can live Daphnia or micro worms be a good alternate live food to brine shrimps? Which is better live brine shrimp frys or adult brine shrimps for 4 week old juveniles? Also is there a proper feeding distribution or order to follow like for example:

2 feedings of brine shrimps (early morning and late morning)
1 feeding of NLS/Hikari
1 feeding of live tubifex worms

Thanks a lot guys for helping me out. You guys are awesome!