PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question about Salinity

waylon101
08-17-2015, 03:52 AM
Hey guys! I have been doing planted tanks for a while now but wanted to step up my hobby by getting a Marine tank. I mixed up the water using a heater and power head in a bucket like I was recommended. Each bucket read about 1.023. Then I added them both to the tank and it has been in there all day. I went to check it tonight and it dropped down to 1.019. I was told not to add Salt straight into the tank. Is this an exception? How should I raise the Salinity back?

Sandz
08-17-2015, 05:00 AM
First - how are you checking the salinity levels?

Second - your goal salt mix should be a specific gravity of 1.025

Third - Is there anything in the tank? If not, then the dosing of salt isnt as detrimental to the tank. If there is something in the tank, you will need to do water changes in order to make this right.

waylon101
08-17-2015, 03:48 PM
I'm just using a basic Instant Ocean Hydrometer.

No there is nothing in the tank. I knew I shouldn't be hasty

Sandz
08-17-2015, 06:19 PM
ok for about the same money, you can get a $15 refractometer that is much more accurate. you can add in a cup at a time for the salt and then let it mix in then test again.

Cliff
08-18-2015, 03:01 AM
The swing arm hydrometers can easily be off by as much as 0.003. As Sandz has already stated, a refractormeter is considerably more accurate. Do a little research and get a good quality one. IF your salinity is off, then so too would be other important elements in your water.

I would suggest raising your salinity to between 1.026 and 1,027. That is the salinity found in the ocean in and around our coral reefs which is were the fish and corals we keep in the hobby come from.

Surfdog
11-08-2015, 02:59 PM
I agree with Sandz, buy a refractometer, nothing is more accurate. I run all my tanks at 1.026 exactly, premixed in 55 gallon plastic drums. Makes life extremely simple (if you have the room) with the drums, each has a heater and power head to do the mixing.