PDA

View Full Version : Killifishes good for community tank? Really?+water change question

Astyanax
08-13-2015, 11:53 AM
I have 4 babies gardneri killifishes lafia gold growing in a small separate tank. The plan is, when they are big enough, to add them to the bigger tank.
I did browse around the internet to see what they say about their behaviour in a community tank, and now I am confused.
Some say they are allright with other fishes, others say their ones killed some of their fishes.
I am looking now for a definite answer to that question. I saw the bigger one fighting with another one of his size, and found the other one dead after a few days (died of bullying or was killed?) and I wouldn't like him to start on my other fishes once I had him in the other tank. He just tolerate the other three he is with, but sometimes he creeps on them and they mainly move out of his way, that happens especially when I feed them.
Will it be safe to put them in the community tank with the others?
I know they have a tendency to jump, and the tank need to be covered, my big tank is covered at the moment the small tank is not at the moment, as they are too small for now . How will I be able to do a water change with the top open, which you need to be able to get the stuff off the sand, with those fishes who might jump any time?

Sandz
08-13-2015, 05:58 PM
These killifish will do just fine with the stock list in your signature. Also you need a lid as they are spookable and can jump out. With fish there is no 'definates' because some fish are randomly aggressive but I dont think you will have an issue.

Regarding water changes, a jumper isnt a threat if you can catch it and get it back in the tank asap. But the threat would be like what happened to me recently is that you walk in and they are dried up. I now only have a female golden wonder because she was still moist.

Slaphppy7
08-13-2015, 06:07 PM
I close the tank lid on my siphon when pulling or putting water into the tank.

Yes, it leaves a gap, but not one near as large if the lid were open.

Astyanax
08-13-2015, 09:03 PM
I'll have to try both methods and see which one is the best.
How long do they take to dry out, if they jump out?

Slaphppy7
08-13-2015, 09:08 PM
They won't live more than an hour or so after jumping out, dry or not.