PDA

View Full Version : 13 gallon female betta tank

KINGMED
08-06-2015, 07:11 PM
I received a 13 gallon setup for Father's day, it was 50% off at Petco and will be getting it set up soon. I was thinking about getting some female baby bettas at Petco and putting them in all together after cycled now many should I get and would this cut agrees ion down buying them while still juvenile?

fishmommie
08-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Nice father's day gift!
I have a single male betta and a dozen neons in a fifteen gallon. I think you could safely put 2 females and could possibly stretch it to three after the tank is established and if you add no other fish and maintain a weekly water change schedule with adequate filtration. Note that others will feel 2 is max and I don't disagree. I tend to stock a little heavier but that's because I do weekly w/c's and maintenance on my tank and it's heavily planted
Regardless, for the 13 gal you want a filter with at least double the capacity of your tank - so a filter for a 29 or 30 gal would do. If a smaller filter came with the tank then see if you can get another like it and run two. Bettas don't like a lot of current so keep that in mind.

How do you plan to cycle your tank?

I received a 13 gallon setup for Father's day, it was 50% off at Petco and will be getting it set up soon. I was thinking about getting some female baby bettas at Petco and putting them in all together after cycled now many should I get and would this cut agrees ion down buying them while still juvenile?

mommy1
08-06-2015, 08:07 PM
I have always seen betta sororities in 10 gallon tank minimum and at least 6 female betta. Here is some good information about betta sororities for you. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=123796

fishmommie
08-06-2015, 08:56 PM
Fantastic info. Had no idea you could stock so many. This sounds like a fun project. I may have to try a sorority on day.
I have always seen betta sororities in 10 gallon tank minimum and at least 6 female betta. Here is some good information about betta sororities for you. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=123796

mommy1
08-06-2015, 09:11 PM
Fantastic info. Had no idea you could stock so many. This sounds like a fun project. I may have to try a sorority on day.As with many fish you have to find very young fish and the tank has to be set up properly. In this situation that means lots of plants and everyone needs to have their own space. I think the article I linked says a gallon per fish, but I wouldn't stock quite so heavily. Female betta can get as aggressive as males and each fish needs its own area to "run" to if needed. In a 13 gallon I would try 5-6, and as always with betta, have a back up plan.