PDA

View Full Version : How to tell a panaque apart from other types of pleco?

Leeward
08-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Title says it all. I know panaques eat wood and have the dental structure to match, but are there any other tell-tale signs to look out for if they aren't in the mood to plop their faces on the glass?

madagascariensis
08-04-2015, 01:25 PM
It gets very obvious with experience, as panaques tend to have a very unique look.
panaque catfish tend to have bulky, domed bodies in comparison to most other loricarids. They tend to have
proportionally massive heads and large pectoral fins with thick, bristly leading rays. Another characteristic that I've tended to observe is that while with most plecos and fish, the pectoral fins attach far behind the eyes, panaques seem to have their pectoral fins set up front or their eyes set far back, so that the base of their pectoral fins looks almost beneath the eye or even in front of it relative to the snout. I would highly recommend you to google pictures of panaques and compare them with pictures of commonly kept pleco genera such as hypostomus, ancistrus, etc. the differences should be quite apparent.

Leeward
08-04-2015, 01:56 PM
I tried precisely that, but my untrained eye couldn't see the difference without knowing what to look for.
Now I can sort of tell, although I'll need some practice... Thank you so much! thumbs2:

madagascariensis
08-05-2015, 01:34 AM
You are very welcome!

Crispy
08-05-2015, 10:10 AM
probably the most common panaques or 'royal' plecs you will find are L190 and L191.

Leeward
08-05-2015, 10:29 AM
The reason I was asking is I want to find a Panaqolus species (don't mind much which but hopefully P maccus or P albomaculatus) because they stay small. I want to be able to identify it myself so that I'm sure that I get what I buy, because mislabelling is fairly frequent at my LFS.

Faded
12-06-2015, 05:23 AM
probably the most common panaques or 'royal' plecs you will find are L190 and L191.

And then theres the rare blue-eyed panaque thumbs2:

Seriously, this dude has been for sale at an LFS for like 2 years,
he costs $900. But its an amazing pleco, I'll give it that

SueD
12-07-2015, 05:52 PM
It gets very obvious with experience, as panaques tend to have a very unique look.
panaque catfish tend to have bulky, domed bodies in comparison to most other loricarids. They tend to have
proportionally massive heads and large pectoral fins with thick, bristly leading rays. Another characteristic that I've tended to observe is that while with most plecos and fish, the pectoral fins attach far behind the eyes, panaques seem to have their pectoral fins set up front or their eyes set far back, so that the base of their pectoral fins looks almost beneath the eye or even in front of it relative to the snout. I would highly recommend you to google pictures of panaques and compare them with pictures of commonly kept pleco genera such as hypostomus, ancistrus, etc. the differences should be quite apparent.

Very nice explanation