PDA

View Full Version : I think I have a breeding pair?

Argentis
07-31-2015, 11:36 AM
Hey everyone,

I purchased 3 little angels half a year ago and they've been living in my 30g planted cube. Lately I've noticed that one of the three (whom I call Marbles) is hiding in the back of the tank in some of the plants while Tiger and Patches have the run of everything.

This morning I noticed the same thing, except there's what looks like eggs on the driftwood in the tank. I've added a photo (I think)

I've figured that Tiger is a male, he's grown a fair sized forehead, Patches is the smallest of the three, and Marbles is a bit larger than Tiger, but I can't tell what they are.

I'm not sure what I should be doing in this case, this is my first time having Angels!

rebecca_finny
08-06-2015, 05:27 AM
Congratulations on the eggs! You've obviously got a female in there somewhere. Viable eggs will turn a orange-seethrough colour, and unviable eggs will turn that white that you see (it's basically a fungus covering them, which is normal). You should expect that your first batch of eggs will probably not survive, but they will breed every two weeks or so. Angelfish are also notorious for chowing down on their own eggs, so you have the option to either let them get the hang of parenting, or switching the eggs to a different tank and raising them yourselves. It's quite tough and time-consuming that way, plus it's a beautiful sight to watch them care for their fry. After a few days, the eggs will hatch into little wigglers that stick to the surface they're on. Parents may move them around quite a bit at this point, and they don't need to be fed until they no longer have pudgy orange bellies and are swimming. At this point, baby brine shrimp is usually what people would recommend. There are also Hikari First Bites available to you from a LFS. Keep us posted :)

SueD
08-06-2015, 01:31 PM
I would also give some consideration to removing the 3rd angel. Three is never a good number when two are paired up. Keep a close watch as there is definitely a chance that the 3rd angel will suffer from the aggression of the other two.

Argentis
08-08-2015, 12:11 AM
Hi everyone!

Looks like my angels snacked on the eggs... didn't surprise me. I'm going to leave the eggs in and see if they'll get the hang of parenting.. if not, well, they're feeding themselves caviar every few weeks.

I ended up returning Marbles to my LFS, not a happy morning.. but Tiger got really nasty to them the night before I removed Marbles.

Hikari first bites? I'll have to look into that if I and my angels ever get the eggs to the wiggler stage. Hatching brine shrimp sounds interesting, but not sure if I could do that.

rebecca_finny
08-13-2015, 11:01 PM
Good luck with your eggs :) can't wait to hear about it