PDA

View Full Version : First time using Christmas moss...

BluewaterBoof
07-27-2015, 06:08 PM
I ordered some Xmas moss as I want to take a stab at making a wall in my 29g.

I ordered quite a bit and will most likely have some left over so I was also kicking around the idea of putting some in my betta's 10g. I've never used moss in my tanks, so forgive me if this seems like a dumb question but...will the moss choke out an anubias?

My anubias is tied to a fake log and I was thinking it would look kinda cool to attach the moss to the log, as well. Will the anubias' rhizome be ok if it gets covered by the moss?

Thanks!

Slaphppy7
07-27-2015, 06:16 PM
It should be fine. The xmas moss grows like crazy, but it's easy to keep cut back.

BluewaterBoof
07-27-2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks, Slap!

Do you think I should trim the moss back enough to keep the rhizome visible, or do you think it will be ok as long as there isn't a super thick mass of moss engulfing it?

Slaphppy7
07-27-2015, 06:49 PM
It'll be fine as long as it's not buried in substrate.

RiversGirl
07-27-2015, 06:54 PM
I don't have anubias, but do have a Java Fern -- which is another rhizome plant -- and moss.

My (Lace) Java Fern is tied to a piece of driftwood and I also tied some of the Java Moss to that same dw. The moss did take over, growing all over the dw, the Java Fern (and most of the tank -- probably just over a third of the tank, in looks)

I gathered up all that mass of moss (a few times over, actually) and bound it to various rocks. This past time, I gathered all I could off of the Java Ferns, actually thinking they'd been choked out, they were so covered.

Guess what? My Java Ferns are just fine. I only trimmed away a few dead leaves. The Moss is (for now) mostly within a hairnet ball although there are always bits of it that take root and grow elsewhere.

Your anubias should be fine. You will have to do some Moss trimming.

RiversGirl
07-27-2015, 07:11 PM
choked* out.

(I can spell... at least some of the time! Missed my time limit to edit though. )

Slaphppy7
07-27-2015, 07:15 PM
I fixed it for you!

RiversGirl
07-27-2015, 07:17 PM
oooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo
Super-duper Mod powers, to the rescue!
Thanks, Slap!

Boundava
07-27-2015, 07:18 PM
I fixed it for you!

Hey you-don't let all that power go to your head, lol

Slaphppy7
07-27-2015, 07:22 PM
LOL.....time limit, schlime limit!!!

I've almost accidentally edited a bunch of you guy's posts, still getting used to the extra buttons.

BluewaterBoof
07-27-2015, 07:57 PM
You guys are too funny lol

Thanks for the reassurance, Rivers! I'm probably going to go moss-happy with the betta tank. I'm wondering if I can get a nice group of shrimp in there if the moss will give them a safe haven from the Terrible Mr. Fishy.

Slaphppy7
07-27-2015, 07:59 PM
I'm wondering if I can get a nice group of shrimp in there if the moss will give them a safe haven from the Terrible Mr. Fishy.

I'd be careful with that....if he's inclined to eat shrimp, they'll disappear in a hurry, moss or no moss...it just depends, every betta is different

RiversGirl
07-27-2015, 08:04 PM
I would love to be able to do a moss-filled shrimp (and snail, I think) tank. I'd LOVE to just let the moss go wild.
(My mts will never allow me to sate it! It can outpace my ability to add another tank, every time. I just quell it by vicariously enjoying other member's tanks...)

What I mean by all that is:
Yes!! Please do get a mass of moss, some shrimp and let's do this.

Actually, there have been several (stages) times where the moss grows and becomes like a heavy bough of a tree and the fish really seem to enjoy swimming all around that. Of course, nothing stays the same and as it grows more, the effect shifts. Still, I have enjoyed those stages.

RiversGirl
07-27-2015, 08:05 PM
oh, A betta tank....

I missed that detail.

I need a shrimp tank, so clearly.... *sigh*

BluewaterBoof
07-27-2015, 08:09 PM
I'd be careful with that....if he's inclined to eat shrimp, they'll disappear in a hurry, moss or no moss...it just depends, every betta is different

Blast that stupid betta! Aaargh! So you think he will still be able to get to them even if there is a jungle of moss everywhere?

How are your wife's shrimp doing? Have you caught the betta in the act of harming them, or is he just chasing them?

BluewaterBoof
07-27-2015, 08:15 PM
oh, A betta tank....

I missed that detail.

I need a shrimp tank, so clearly.... *sigh*

Ha! Yes, unfortunately this particular tank has a very aggressive betta in it. The mystery snail has finally been accepted, but that's only because the betta's attacks were foiled by the shell.

I would love to have a shrimp tank. I'm almost curious how a bunch of shrimp would do in the Iwagumu tank. I'm not sure if they would like it, though, as it won't have much cover....just the baby dwarf tears and some dwarf hairgrass. I'm assuming shrimp prefer a bit of overhead cover?

Slaphppy7
07-27-2015, 08:16 PM
Even with the jungle of moss, if he wants them, he'll get them....we just don't know until you try, but it could end up being a pricey experiment.

Wife's shrimp are hanging in there, I've seen him "bump" them, but not actually eat them...but no telling at night, or when I'm not watching.

RiversGirl
07-27-2015, 08:35 PM
I would love to have a shrimp tank. I'm almost curious how a bunch of shrimp would do in the Iwagumu tank. I'm not sure if they would like it, though, as it won't have much cover....just the baby dwarf tears and some dwarf hairgrass. I'm assuming shrimp prefer a bit of overhead cover?

Does this Iwagumu tank design allow for some Christmas moss...?

The shrimp appreciate some place to hide out when they molt. If you could work in a hiding place for them and if they fit into this tank's overall look that you have in mind, then go for it.
You're planning livestock in that tank now (?) -- I'm behind on the plans, as I was thinking you were going to keep it without critters. I have some reading to catch up on!

BluewaterBoof
07-27-2015, 08:51 PM
I'm so torn! lol

My initial plans, yes, were to keep the tank critter-free. Then Sue made the comment that she forsaw some neons ending up in the tank and it started to eat at me (curse that woman!). Add that to the fact that I can't add anything else to my other tanks and you can see how it just makes sense to add stock to the Iwagumi haha

Can't really see adding the christmoss (see what I did there?) to the Iwagumi, but who knows? Once I see the moss in person I should have a better feel for how big the leaves(?) get and how well it attaches to things. If the individual branches or whatever you call moss aren't too big, I might be able to attach them to the rocks... I dunno. I have a bad itch for wanting to add more and more stuff to my tanks, but if I go crazy with the Iwagumi I will quickly step outside the criteria for it to be classified as a legitimate Iwagumi tank.

RiversGirl
07-27-2015, 09:31 PM
Here is the thing. (and my opinion of it all)

This is YOUR tank. That is both the most wonderful and the most dilemma-inducing aspect there is. You are in control of the plan. It is entirely up to you.

Rather reminds me of the Dr Seuss book Oh, The Places You'll Go! Personally, I am prone to walking in circles -- but you'll walk your own path.

If the goal you wish is to build an Iwagumi- styled tank, than your research points to the outline to follow. In the end, you have to enjoy this tank -- as it is purely your creation.

SueD
07-28-2015, 12:07 AM
I'm so torn! lol

My initial plans, yes, were to keep the tank critter-free. Then Sue made the comment that she forsaw some neons ending up in the tank and it started to eat at me (curse that woman!). Add that to the fact that I can't add anything else to my other tanks and you can see how it just makes sense to add stock to the Iwagumi haha

I am a very sensible woman!!

Can't really see adding the christmoss (see what I did there?) to the Iwagumi, but who knows? Once I see the moss in person I should have a better feel for how big the leaves(?) get and how well it attaches to things. If the individual branches or whatever you call moss aren't too big, I might be able to attach them to the rocks... I dunno. I have a bad itch for wanting to add more and more stuff to my tanks, but if I go crazy with the Iwagumi I will quickly step outside the criteria for it to be classified as a legitimate Iwagumi tank.

I don't think the moss would add to this tank, but rather would probably detract from the Iwagumi style. It grows like crazy.

Comments in red

Dr Seuss book Oh, The Places You'll Go! is a beautiful book and a favorite book of mine. Now I'll have to find it and re-read it. Hopefully, I still have it. When we finally got around to cleaning out a lot of my son's children's books years ago, there were a few he wouldn't let go and some I wouldn't let go. I'm hoping this is one of them.

BluewaterBoof
07-28-2015, 01:52 AM
Haha I wasn't serious about the whole cursing thing :P But you ARE the one who planted the seed :)

Dr. Seuss was my favorite growing up and almost all of my son's books are from him. He gets to pick out two books each night and he usually picks DS books :)

RiversGirl
07-28-2015, 02:34 AM
When we finally got around to cleaning out a lot of my son's children's books years ago, there were a few he wouldn't let go and some I wouldn't let go.

There is a stack I am refusing to let go of. My hub argues some with me over saving so many, but yeah... not gonna get rid of a few of them. Hub actually put a couple in that stack too. This book is in that category. It contains meaning for adults too -- well, for me anyhow. I quite like it.

Also, I agree with Sue that the unruliness that is the nature of the moss would detract from the Iwagumi style.

SueD
07-28-2015, 02:39 PM
Haha I wasn't serious about the whole cursing thing :P But you ARE the one who planted the seed :)

Dr. Seuss was my favorite growing up and almost all of my son's books are from him. He gets to pick out two books each night and he usually picks DS books :)

I got it.

If you don't have Oh, The Places You'll Go! , make sure to find it sometime. As RiversGirl said, it's different from his others in that you will find meaning in it as an adult. I can't remember my son's age when we read this together, but I think he was old enough to get at least some of that meaning - certainly beyond toddler stage.

BluewaterBoof
07-28-2015, 03:04 PM
I'll be sure to pick it up for our little one. The title and cover art look familiar...but I'm not sure if I ever read it when I was younger. Looks like it didn't come out until 1990 and I think I was past DS books by then.

RiversGirl
07-28-2015, 03:38 PM
I so love children's books... could talk about those nearly all day.

SueD
07-28-2015, 04:06 PM

There was nothing like the bedtime story time - no matter how good or bad your day was. My son would sit mesmerized while I read. Even watching TV, he would have to be doing something else at the same time, like playing with legos or matchbox cars. Not so with story time.

Unfortunately, he's not quite the avid reader today that I am, so my hundreds of books will be donated some day, unread by him. But every now and then he'll buy or download something I wouldn't expect of him. Ulysses by James Joyce is one that he's read that I would not want to tackle. There's a few of my favorites I'm still working on him to try.

BluewaterBoof
07-28-2015, 05:30 PM

Oh, you're in luck! I actually just created a Chatterbox thread devoted to children's books :19:

RiversGirl
07-28-2015, 05:40 PM
Oh, you're in luck! I actually just created a Chatterbox thread devoted to children's books :19:

and I've chattered there, way too much I'm afraid. (blush)

BluewaterBoof
07-28-2015, 05:44 PM
There was nothing like the bedtime story time - no matter how good or bad your day was. My son would sit mesmerized while I read. Even watching TV, he would have to be doing something else at the same time, like playing with legos or matchbox cars. Not so with story time.

Unfortunately, he's not quite the avid reader today that I am, so my hundreds of books will be donated some day, unread by him. But every now and then he'll buy or download something I wouldn't expect of him. Ulysses by James Joyce is one that he's read that I would not want to tackle. There's a few of my favorites I'm still working on him to try.

You just described my own son! He likes movies/TV, but will rarely actively watch them; he just likes to have something on in the background while he plays with his cars. Story time, however, is a completely different experience. Each night all three of us lay down on the floor with some pillows, blankets, and stuffed animals and he focuses entirely on the books.

I hope he grows up and continues to share my love of reading. My mother got me hooked as a small child, and I loved reading through all the stories she had in her study and then sitting down and discussing them with her. I hope to share a similar experience with my own son, but I know that kids usually don't grow up having the same interests as their parents.

BluewaterBoof
07-28-2015, 05:56 PM
and I've chattered there, way too much I'm afraid. (blush)

Haha not at all! Give me a bit and I'll jump over there.

SueD
07-28-2015, 06:59 PM
You just described my own son! He likes movies/TV, but will rarely actively watch them; he just likes to have something on in the background while he plays with his cars. Story time, however, is a completely different experience. Each night all three of us lay down on the floor with some pillows, blankets, and stuffed animals and he focuses entirely on the books.

I hope he grows up and continues to share my love of reading. My mother got me hooked as a small child, and I loved reading through all the stories she had in her study and then sitting down and discussing them with her. I hope to share a similar experience with my own son, but I know that kids usually don't grow up having the same interests as their parents.

I was hooked by my mother also. She was a long time member of the Book of the Month Club, which I also joined (when I had my own money to spend). I was a member for over 20 years. Now I have a Nook, so I download most of what I read. But every now and then, I like to feel a book so I'll buy one.

BluewaterBoof
07-29-2015, 06:12 PM
I have a Kindle Fire but don't use it as much as I had originally thought I would. It's an older one and quite heavy...I guess my fingers just prefer the feel of a good ole paperback.

Boundava
07-29-2015, 06:32 PM
That's why I never got one...I love to read, BOOKS: not computers with books on them. Though I was very tempted-but I know how I am reading stuff for college (when I was in college). When it was a book I had no problems reading. The couple online classes I had-just hated reading the text online on a computer-would have to print it out and that was a huge waste of paper; even if I recycled it when I was done.

BluewaterBoof
07-29-2015, 07:33 PM
Anyone still swing by a library nowadays? We got there once a month and I just LOVE the smell of all that paper when we first walk in.

SueD
07-29-2015, 08:30 PM
Haven't been to a library since my son was in elementary school. And he's 29 now.

I do like the ease of the Nook, especially for when I'm not home in my easy chair. Especially when I'm into a 1,000+ pages book.

Jwfish13
07-29-2015, 09:44 PM
I do like the ease of the Nook, especially for when I'm not home in my easy chair. Especially when I'm into a 1,000+ pages book.

I also have a nook... I enjoy it a lot, have read 100's of books on it