PDA

View Full Version : To kill, or not to kill...

KcEE
11-20-2007, 07:12 AM
Hey everyone,

Check out this pics and tell me what you think. These are pics from a small pond in the school where I work at. I noticed that this goldfish was swimming weirdly about a month back. It was swimming forward in a vertical manner.(As in, head up towards the surface.) Then about 2 weeks back, it just stopped swimming and is now floating. It has been floating ever since. Today I noticed this red patch on its body. Up close it looks like its bleeding from under its scales. I don't think there's any cure and I'm wondering if I should put it out of it's misery.

Sorry if the pictures are a bit blurry. Had to use my cellphone...

cocoa_pleco
11-20-2007, 02:23 PM
its hemorrhagic septicemia, common in goldfish and koi and almost impossible to cure. If you dont put him out of his misery, his circulatory system will deteriorates and its a slow painful death.

i would say to sadly put him out

KcEE
11-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks Cocoa_pleco....I kinda knew what the answer would be. Gosh...I've been seeing him like that for weeks. So, how should I go about doing it?

cocoa_pleco
11-20-2007, 02:33 PM
this is hard, ive never had to take out a coldwater fish.

instead of going on a long explaining spree on the different methods, heres a article, ive tried every method in the book

http://www.ponddoc.com/WhatsUpDoc/FishHealth/Euthanization.htm

KcEE
11-20-2007, 02:40 PM
OK Cocoa, thanks...I'll read it through and find the most painless one...Kinda heartbroken even though it's not mine...poor fella...

Btw, I like the font you use for you name...cool...how do you do that?

country_boy454
11-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Good article cocoa_pleco! Simple but yet effective!

cocoa_pleco
11-20-2007, 11:27 PM
thanks!

my first euthuanization was clove oil + vodka on a betta, it sucked.

for the font, i went to microsoft word and searched through their fonts, just type in the name and most should work, i used "alba super"

Lady Hobbs
11-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Yes, it also has swim bladder which is why all the floating. He can not be cured.

Good read, Cocoa.

tropfish
11-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Sorry aobut the fish,

Good link cocoa, very helpful

cocoa_pleco
11-21-2007, 12:05 AM
if i could name the best ways, its the vodka way or the freezer way. When my severum spazzed on my clownknife and the knife was half dead, i had no choice but to take him out. I put him in the deep freeze for 5 minutes and he was out.

im sure everyone will think bad of me for admitting this, but i was a kid and it was 7 years ago.

I had a really sick betta, and i thought bleach would work. i accidentally used some laundry SOAP, and after 5 minutes i looked to hopefully find him out of his misery, instead he was literally flicking around like crazy in the soap. DO NOT USE BLEACH OR SOAP

RichBowyer
11-21-2007, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the link Pleco. I always thought I was doing it best with two cinderblocks.

Not pretty but quick.

cocoa_pleco
11-21-2007, 02:38 AM
the cinderblock way works too, and there are other methods like that, such as running it over with a car.

another way ive used but i dont know if the fish feels it is i once had to put out a cichlid due to septicemia, and i put him in snow in -30c temps. he died pretty quick