PDA

View Full Version : Possible new betta for Father's Day?

KINGMED
06-19-2015, 04:51 AM
Today my oldest daughter and myself had Daddy date night at Petco and
Petsmart while my youngest was away at Church camp. There were three bettas that I really liked, #1 was a Rose Peddle red,white and blue mixture male which was purely gorgeous 19.99 ouch, #2 a red double tail which looked as if he had some crown tail in his fins for 6.99 another outstanding handsome betta, #3 a pearl dragon scale with gorgeous fins for 10.99. I think my daughter wants to get me the Rose Peddle male, and if she does I will probably go and buy the other two, if not I'll get the red double tail that when he spreads he's very handsome with spike like crown tail points on his fin ends, absolutely gorgeous. I think I am getting the 13 gallon tank setup at Petco that sells for 69.00 and is on sale 50% off. I will put one betta in this, probably the red doubletail, the other probably the Rose Peddle in my 3 gallon wineglass bowl with antique glass gravel that I got at a yard sale 4 to 5 yrs ago. I am going to put a small 3I filter from Walmart and a small heater in the wineglass bowl, I have a top covering fashioned from mesh bought at Walmart to cover the opening so my bettas do not jump out.

Compass
06-19-2015, 11:41 AM
This is just my opinion, if it were me, I'd keep the one betta in the 13 gallon and not fool with the 3 gallon bowl. Yeah it's bigger than most but I personally wouldn't put a betta in anything less than a 5 gallon. Since you plan on adding a filter and heater I guess it'll work. Since bettas are naturally curious and do better with things to interact with, I like a standard 5 gallon because I can add a lot of stuff to it, like plants and things. If you go with the bowl, I would suggest adding at least a plant, real or fake to give it something to interact with.

Slaphppy7
06-19-2015, 12:55 PM
Agreed, anything less than 5 gallons is not suitable for a single betta.

KINGMED
06-19-2015, 06:03 PM
Went back to Petco today, it was 9:10 they got new bettas out on the floor and I got a double tail male, he was a dark purplish red almost a black color with a dark blue color around the edges like a butterfly color pattern. Probably the best looking male I've seen in my life in person, and to put icing on it he has huge flowing fins that are gorgeous. He is in my 6.6 gallon tank with a zoo med 501 turtle filter as filtration, and a small heater. Have no substrate at present time but unless I find some gravel at a garage sale tomorrow I will either leave the tank bottom empty or use pool filter sand.