PDA

View Full Version : pruning my plants....???

squirt_12
11-20-2007, 12:38 AM
how exactly do i prune my plants????

i have some ludwiga and well it is all the way to the top of the water and almost coming out..:thumb:

thanks.thumbs2:

Algenco
11-20-2007, 01:00 AM
ludwigia, just cut it and plant the tops. I would cut them about 1/3 from the bottom. The base will branch out, if you keep trimming the tips it will make a nice bush.

richberstler
11-20-2007, 01:07 AM
No one ever really specifically answered in my other thread... Is it OK to use metal scissoes inside a tank? or is there something else to use?

Algenco
11-20-2007, 01:17 AM
No one ever really specifically answered in my other thread... Is it OK to use metal scissoes inside a tank? or is there something else to use?

I see no problem, I have a small pair of stainless steel scissors that I use, I have used the Wife's scissors when she wasn't looking:hmm3grin2orange:

richberstler
11-20-2007, 01:35 AM
I have used the Wife's scissors when she wasn't looking:hmm3grin2orange:

lmao, we won't tell :wink2:

squirt_12
11-20-2007, 02:44 AM
ok thanks....so if there is like some roots coming out of the plants stem in places...should i cut right below that and then plant that part????

Algenco
11-20-2007, 03:07 AM
ok thanks....so if there is like some roots coming out of the plants stem in places...should i cut right below that and then plant that part????

Doesn't really matter, cut fairly low so that the new shoot will have plenty of room to grow. Keep in mind that the base will fork and you will eventually need to trim those shoots, then they will fork and so on. Give some thought as to what you want the plant to look like a couple of months down the road

squirt_12
11-20-2007, 03:33 AM
Doesn't really matter, cut fairly low so that the new shoot will have plenty of room to grow. Keep in mind that the base will fork and you will eventually need to trim those shoots, then they will fork and so on. Give some thought as to what you want the plant to look like a couple of months down the road
alrighty....thanks so much Algenco.

hungryhound
11-20-2007, 04:55 PM
metal scissors are fine.

To add to what algenco said.

When you cut make sure that you cut right above where the leaf branches off o f the stem leaving the leaves on. If you cut higher than that the plant will above that area will die back and rot.