PDA

View Full Version : My Glowlight breeding experience

richberstler
11-20-2007, 12:30 AM
I'm creating my own thread so I no longer have to hijack Megan's thread with her pregnant tetra question:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=11954

I had posted a few tips I found online to attempt answering 3 of our questions. In doing so I really got interested if my fat Glowlights are ready to breed. So I got a plastic breeding floater thingy and I'm going to give it a whirl. It's an old one my folks used to use when they had Fantail guppies, but I'm thinking it will work for the eggs as well.

Any tips about any step of the process will be much invited. In the meantime I'll be documenting what's going on in hopes this may help others with DOs & DON'ts who also wish to try. Plus I can keep track here for myself so I don't have to worry about losing a piece of paper.

Tonight before bed I'm grabbing a fat and skinny Glowlight and sequestering them in the breeder float. In preperation I also bought a tube or Wordleys fry food. It's some sort of liquid with food for frys. I did this since I don't have time to prepare food on my own and my Java Moss is still busy establishing itself in my shrimp tank (this is the tank I'll be transferring the fry to).

Wish me luck, I'm sure I'll need it thumbs2:

squirt_12
11-20-2007, 12:45 AM
not to put you down or anything but...that wont work....you will need atleats a 10g minimum to breed them into because they will do a barrel roll and lock fins for a second which gives them the need for space to do that in. Also the skinny one could be a female with no eggs....so you need about 6-12 of them if you want results. Also you would need java moss on the bottom of the tank and lots of fine leafed plants. So a little breeder box wouldn't work.

also..as soon as the eggs are laid they will try to eat them.

richberstler
11-20-2007, 01:18 AM
Darn it. I knew of the barrel roll but hoped the mini breeder would work (it would seperate the eggs from the parents). Contemplated getting another 10 gal for my bedroom, but was putting it off since I have already set up 2 in a matter of months. I'll keep the 2 sequestered for a day or 2 in case I get lucky. I want to try feeding them frozen Daphina tomorrow to see if that will kick start them.

I also read when one starts nipping at the female you should get them alone together so the others don't stress the male out.

Thanks for the heads up. I won't feel a failure if my 1st attempt fails now. Who woulda thought fish would be as expensive as a dog or cat lol.

squirt_12
11-20-2007, 02:46 AM
If you feed them live foods it will help putting them in the breeding mood. Also if you do like a 25-50% water change i believe that that also triggers a spawn.

But in your normal community tank...the eggs are just going to get eaten.

sorry.

mitcore
11-20-2007, 02:59 AM
so does a big fast drop in temp

richberstler
11-21-2007, 04:47 AM
I gave up on the breeder floatie thing. My 2 Glowlights were looking awfully pale after my best effort. My LFS is selling them at less than $1 a piece so I'll try breeding again once I get my newest tank (where I'm making my first attempt at live plants).

I'll revisit again later. Thanks Squirt for your attempt to stop my madness!!! lol

BTW an attempt at lowering the temp doesn't work with an ice cube, darn it I have zero patience. I'll try that later mitcore in the new tank with a water change instead of a cube in the breeder.

mitcore
11-23-2007, 02:06 AM
no worries
good luck

myster619
11-26-2007, 05:38 PM
post some pics!>

richberstler
11-27-2007, 01:18 AM
First attempt was a failure, and now I had to drain my new tank I was going to use to attempt the breeding. Once I get everything back up I'll attempt again and will attempt pics.