PDA

View Full Version : Adding fish to a one angel tank. Please help!

fishnerd1230
06-13-2015, 10:49 PM
I used to have a community tank with corydoras, some schooling fish (tetra varieties) and some kuhli loaches. My angel, Macaroni, is now 4 years old and he lives alone in a 40 gallon tall tank. Aside from his assassin snail buddies and a couple plants, he's been in solitude for about a full year now. I am thinking about adding a school of 6 golden tetras and 2-3 zipper/zebra loaches. Will this be too many fish in my tank? I know there is a risk that the other fish may stress macaroni out or he may try to go after them, so I will be prepared to take any targeted fish back to the safety of my fish store. Any advice/comments/suggestions will help Macaroni be less lonely and hopefully much happier. Thanks! :)

dwarfguy
06-13-2015, 11:02 PM
How large are the golden tetras? All that I have seen would be snack sized for a 4 yo angel. I guess I'd go for a higher bodied tetra like bleeding heart or something. That doesn't sound like too many fish, but I think loaches are better in a slightly larger group as well. I'd go with 8 to 10 tetras and 6 loaches. Seems like zebra loaches stay around 4 inches?

fishnerd1230
06-13-2015, 11:07 PM
How large are the golden tetras? All that I have seen would be snack sized for a 4 yo angel. I guess I'd go for a higher bodied tetra like bleeding heart or something. That doesn't sound like too many fish, but I think loaches are better in a slightly larger group as well. I'd go with 8 to 10 tetras and 6 loaches. Seems like zebra loaches stay around 4 inches?

Yes, thank you for the advice! The golden tetras I have seen have been around 1" long, so you may be right about them being snack size. I wasn't sure if they would get any bigger though. I think I will go for a larger tetra. Who is better at eating junk off of the gravel? corydora cats or loaches?

mommy1
06-14-2015, 01:32 AM
They are both bottom feeders but they don't eat junk. They need to be fed regular food just like any other fish.

angelcraze2
06-14-2015, 08:55 PM
In a 40 tall, it's 3ft long x 12" wide and 20" tall? I have a few different tetras mixed with a group of 7 angelfish in a 120g. I love the red phantoms. They spend most of their time in the middle strata, will turn bright red and thy don't seem to swim erratically to stress angelfish out. I may have had one of two deaths from the angelfish spawning, but it could be just that they are getting old. Black phantoms have the same behaviour. Candy Cane or hy511 tetra become even deeper bodied, like a columbian tetra, but still seem to just take short nabs at eachother. But lemon tetras, not sure if this is what you meant, the size is okay, I think, but they are the zippiest tetra besides congo (african tetra) and I feel they would do best in a longer tank.

But since your male has been alone for a while, and you want to be safe about him becoming predatory, I'd get a group of 7-11 of candycane or columbian tetras or both for a contrast. I love tetras with angelfish. Except when thy eat the free-swimmer angelfry :tappingfoot:

dwarfguy
06-14-2015, 09:29 PM
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hemigrammus-rodwayi/ I assumed he meant these. I don't know anything about them except the ones I've seen for sale were neon sized or smaller.

Slaphppy7
06-15-2015, 12:37 AM
What's the filtration on the 40G?

For an angel that size, Colombians should work, even as juvies they are a good size, certainly not fish food.

angelcraze2
06-15-2015, 04:21 AM
I took some pics of my full-grown tetras I feel would be good choices. The red phantom might be too small to add as juvies though. The candy cane tetras are not as bright red as the red phantom, more pinkish red. None of them were nippy, but the Colombians were kept in a group of eight....I was warned they were nippy?....until there were eleven somehow? LOL. I feel the size marches between the candycane (hy511) and the columbian full grown. Never had them together, but I bet they'd look great together.

Slaphppy7
06-15-2015, 01:32 PM
My colombians were never nippy, but for some reason, I have slowly lost them over time...others here have had the same mystery deaths...I'm down to 2 from my original 10.

Candy canes look great, very similar to the Rosy tetras (Hyphessobrycon rosaceus) that I keep.

angelcraze2
06-28-2015, 10:48 PM
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hemigrammus-rodwayi/ I assumed he meant these. I don't know anything about them except the ones I've seen for sale were neon sized or smaller.

Oh interesting, they are not even south american. Thanks, I didn't even know what they were, I guess they are hard to find.

angelcraze2
06-28-2015, 10:53 PM
My colombians were never nippy, but for some reason, I have slowly lost them over time...others here have had the same mystery deaths...I'm down to 2 from my original 10.

I sold mine now, (converted the tank to an angelfish grow out tank for now), but I had them since they were juvies, and they produced spawn even. I had them for about two years before they were sold. What's their lifespan 5 years? Maybe they just grew old? My phantoms slowly started dying for unexplained reasons at about the 5 year mark, lol, expect this huge male black phantom who is at least 7 years old, I got him full grown, so added a year.

Slaphppy7
06-28-2015, 11:00 PM
This November, I would have had them 2 years, is all, and they were juvies new.

I still will never know, we've mulled over it ALOT here on the AC.

BTW, down to just 1 since we talked last...a big male...he's doing OK for the time being.

Hides alot, typical for a lone tetra who used to have many around him.

angelcraze2
06-29-2015, 09:27 PM
I am sorry, that's too bad, I will take look at your old thread, if I can find it, just to read for myself.

Slaphppy7
06-29-2015, 10:00 PM
It's in the 40B journal in my sig.

The thread is somewhat lengthy, maybe just search within the thread for "colombiun" or "black spot disease"...which I think may have been the culprit, but the symptons I read about I didn't see in my fish...besides the black spots, or splotches