PDA

View Full Version : Finding a breeding pair

AlexL1
06-05-2015, 01:16 PM
I want to find a pair to breed, and i read that one way to find one is buying around 6 and wait for them to pair then rehome the unpaired ones. The problem of this is that is I only have 37 gallants work with. Would 37 gallons be enough to keep around 6 angels just untill I find a pair?

Compass
06-05-2015, 01:30 PM
To be honest, 37 gallons isn't big enough for a breeding pair to begin with. So even if you started with juveniles and found your pair, eventually they would by themselves get too big for your tank.

AlexL1
06-05-2015, 01:41 PM
When i looked it up it says at least 20 gallon tall
http://angelsplus.com/ArticleCare.htm

Compass
06-05-2015, 01:45 PM
Are you planning on having anything else in this tank, or just them?

AlexL1
06-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Just them and maybe a bristlenose pleco. And I'm going to add extra filtration.

mommy1
06-05-2015, 01:57 PM
Breeders often keep their stock in cramped conditions to maximize profit and minimize expense, doesn't make it right or ideal.
That article also says the size of tank depends on the quality of angelfish you expect to raise and their guide is a very general guideline.
Personally I wouldn't keep a pair in anything less than a 40g. Others will say smaller is ok and still others will say bigger. But a 40g minimum is my opinion, angelfish like room.
Regardless of what size tank you choose water quality is just as important as tank size for the health and growth of your fish.

I just read your last post. If you plan on keepi,g any of the eggs then don't put the bristlenose with the angels. The BN will eat the eggs at night.

cm12setx
06-06-2015, 02:25 PM
I found this a while back, and thought it was good info. I hope it gives you a one good ideas.

https://youtu.be/MTAbuTYGk0M

mommy1
06-06-2015, 03:56 PM
I've seen this video before and I love those big tanks he is using for breeding his angels. Wild Altums from the Orinoco are my absolute favorite fish... one day I will have some.

luke77
06-09-2015, 02:42 PM
A 20H is one of the more common sizes for strictly breeding angels. There's nothing else in it but the angels. 2 37 gallon would work for a pair but you couldn't have much more due to the aggression the angels would inflict on other fish while breeding.

angelcraze2
06-12-2015, 07:51 PM
I had a 37 gallon, gave it to my mother, but it was 30"L x 12"W x 24" high. IMO, I think the height is awesome for a pair of angelfish, but everyone has their own opinions.

I am a hobby breeder, and keep breeding pairs in heavily planted 33gs. I wait for them most of the time to grow up and pair off in 90g and 120g tanks.

But you can certainly try to manually put a pair together. Once you have certainly distinguished sexes, I find when the female you wish to breed is gravid, that that is the best time to introduce her to a male you wish to breed. Hopefully, she will lay her eggs right away, (as long as the tank parameters are not far off) and he probably won't care, will just see a gravid female, hormones will go crazy, and they will do their thing.

I only steal teh eggs at this point (I want to grow out) because every pair is different, and some eat the eggs, wigglers or free-swimmers. I don't find it matters really if they are put together, or choose their own mate, at least this early in my breeding projects, some are just good parents, some are not. You are guaranteed to get fry if you artificially raise them.

The only important thing to watch for is one of them becoming overly aggressive. In that case, for me, I put them back in the 120g with other angelfish, but they continue to be a pair (I am speaking of the pair I put together).

Anyone, pipe in if I've said something wrong, or if I forgot to say something important. Just trying to share my experience with them.

Slaphppy7
06-12-2015, 09:24 PM
Sounds like expert advice to me, thumbs up.

Sandz
06-13-2015, 04:56 PM
Personally, I have always felt a 29g is the ideal size to breed discus and angels. Height is much more important with these fish, as previously mentioned. Anything short will lend to stunted fish and misshapen fins.

angelcraze2
06-13-2015, 05:44 PM
Yes. They say the minimum tank height for angelfish is 18", which is the height of three of breeder tanks. I feel a bit bad, it seems a bit short, but the fish seem happy. I bought a 40 gallon (20") to start switching over. A set of four 29gs would have been perfect, but I already have two metal 3ft stands, and w/cs aren't too much of a big deal, plus more space for plants!

Back to the OP: Once they have grown up, they have grown though, so the most important time to have a lot of height and be cautious is as they are from wigglers to breeding age. It is also important to not overstock the grow tanks, I've had juvies chew the tip right off a dorsal fin of a smaller juvie of the same spawn. It never grew back uniform. Just a bit of a kink.

I am NOT saying it's okay to cramp the grown angelfish in a small tank for profit, like I've seen on some nursery youtube vids. Just saying, mine are my pets, but I am emphasizing height when they are young/growing especially.

To sum it up, sounds like the perfect sizes for pairs of angelfish are 29g and up, as long as height is a consideration too. For example, I would never use a 30g long, even a 40g long is only 16" tall right?

Slaphppy7
06-13-2015, 06:06 PM
Here's a chart of some common tank sizes: http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/aquariumsandstands/a/tanksizesweights.htm