PDA

View Full Version : Help needed please - sick bristlenose pleco

Laurajk
05-23-2015, 07:43 PM
Hi
We have a bristlenose pleco that has suddenly developed a swollen belly with what appears to be large bubbles on each of its sides and around its bottom. It also has smaller bubbles around its fins. It has them on both sides.
It's quite hard to get a decent picture but below you can see some of the bubbles, they are clear and look like air bubbles, one of the bubbles is quite large and almost looks like it's going to pop.
I have read up about gas bubble disease and although it sounds like this, I haven't read about any plecos getting it and also can't see how it's possible as the tank isn't over oxygenated and has a tricle system for water changes so we never change large amounts of cold water at one time, instead it has a constant drip change going on.
We have tested the water and all seems ok, nitrate a little high but I'm told this isn't excessively high, readings are ammonia 0.25 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm and nitrate 40ppm.
Anyone have any advice?
Thanks in advance

DoubleDutch
05-23-2015, 07:48 PM
What do you feed ? Does it get vegs as well?. Have seen these bubbles with catfish that had been on a (too) high protein diet . What are the other fish in and what are youbfeeding those.

Laurajk
05-23-2015, 07:55 PM
We feed him tetra pleco algae wafers along with cucumber, the other fish in the tank are Guppies and Neon Tetras and they are fed tetra prima mini granules and tetra mini pro crisps.
We have two bristlenose, the other one seems fine.
Thanks

DoubleDutch
05-23-2015, 08:04 PM
We feed him tetra pleco algae wafers along with cucumber, the other fish in the tank are Guppies and Neon Tetras and they are fed tetra prima mini granules and tetra mini pro crisps.
We have two bristlenose, the other one seems fine.
Thanks

Then this doesn't iseem to be the issue Laura !! Did read something about gassbuble disease as well, but don't know the facts / causes of that. Sorry I can't be of any more help !!!

Laurajk
05-24-2015, 01:56 PM
Thanks for trying to help. Unfortunately the pleco was found dead this morning, no idea what caused this but at least he is no longer suffering.
If anyone comes across this post and can shed any light, please do so that we know for future.
Thanks

DoubleDutch
05-24-2015, 02:21 PM
Awwww sorry to hear !!

Anders247
05-24-2015, 03:40 PM
Sorry for your loss. :(

Slaphppy7
05-24-2015, 03:48 PM
Sad to hear, my condolences.