PDA

View Full Version : Want To Start A Planted Tank

DaniFishGirl84
05-20-2015, 11:24 AM
I'm a newbie to plated tank. I have done some research and I am looking for plants that I can put in a low tech tank. I have gravel for a substrate, and low lighting. Any suggestions for what I should put in it?

adamlafrance
05-20-2015, 12:27 PM
Anubis, java fern, and java moss are all great beginner plants. I even started with some cryptocoryne brown, which only require root tabs in my tank. Stay away from red plants as they require lots of light

Anders247
05-20-2015, 01:07 PM
Read this article:
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/297-how-set-up-low-light-low-tech-planted-tank.html
It's written by the plant guru on that forum, so it's real trustworthy. All about low light tanks.

RiversGirl
05-20-2015, 03:40 PM
Read this article:
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/297-how-set-up-low-light-low-tech-planted-tank.html
It's written by the plant guru on that forum, so it's real trustworthy. All about low light tanks.

Thanks for that link -- interesting article

Anders247
05-20-2015, 03:42 PM
No problem. I share that one quite a bit, haha.

RiversGirl
05-20-2015, 05:44 PM
I'm definitely going to buy some Alum before I get more plants.

wgoldfarb
05-20-2015, 08:50 PM
Just be careful with alum. I tried it on the very first batch of plants I got, and quickly killed them. I don't know if my solution was too strong, or if I left them in there too long. The bucket they were in had plenty of sunlight, so i know that wasn't the problem.

RiversGirl
05-20-2015, 08:59 PM
Just be careful with alum. I tried it on the very first batch of plants I got, and quickly killed them. I don't know if my solution was too strong, or if I left them in there too long. The bucket they were in had plenty of sunlight, so i know that wasn't the problem.

Thank you for the warning! Do you happen to recall the strength of your solution? The article linked above recommended 3TBS/gallon, which I was going to copy.

I actually thought of you when I read this article -- recalling how you'd said your plants all died and fast. Guess I had it in my mind that you'd used bleach.

wgoldfarb
05-20-2015, 10:14 PM
I think my problem was that I left them in there much too long. The "recipe" calls for either 3 TBSP per gallon for 2-3 hours, or 1 TBSP for 24 hrs. I used the latter, but left the plants in the solution for 3 days.

I think if you use ther 3 tbsp and dip them for no more than 3 hours, you should be ok.