PDA

View Full Version : I'm scared of worms!

Lady Hobbs
11-18-2007, 11:47 PM
I stopped at the bait store today and picked up some earth worms for my fish. Since I don't get out much, I got 60 of the darned things and now don't know what to do with them. I'M SCARED OF THEM! It's not like I played with worms a lot in my lifetime but thought I would be able to cut them in half and feed them to the fish.

I can't!! When you push a knife down in the middle of them they start wiggling like crazy and wrap themselves all up.

I tossed one in the tank full size and my parrots sucked it up like spaghetti but was too long and he sat like this for half an hour trying to swallow it. The firemouths went nuts and I had a firemouth on each end of a worm pulling like a couple pups over a sock.

But I can not cut them in half. Makes me physically sick and I'm scared of the darned things.

tropfish
11-19-2007, 12:03 AM
Good eatins! lol

Just do one quick chop and don't look, there going to get eaten anyway. My FM does that with algea wafers. He grabs the whole thing and shoves it in his mouth even though he can't swallow it and then he swims around like mad trying to eat it lol.

Rue
11-19-2007, 12:06 AM
I hate chopping up live food too...but I agree with tropfish...don't overthink it...just chop and feed...

Drumachine09
11-19-2007, 12:11 AM
You could give them to me, I haven't been fishing in a while.

A quick chop is the way to do it.

Fishalicious
11-19-2007, 12:33 AM
Hahahaha what a beauty of a pic!!! I hope she enjoys it seeing it will probably be the last by the sounds of things :ezpi_wink1:

richberstler
11-19-2007, 12:38 AM
Find yourself a fisherman friend. We are quite good at dealing with chopping them up, in fact I bet most of us don't even use a knife.

Another thought would be to use a razor blade of some sort. At least it will be quick. Half a worm will usually continue to live it that puts your mind at ease...

Drumachine09
11-19-2007, 12:42 AM
in fact I bet most of us don't even use a knife.

Nope, all it takes is a good pinch with the fingers.

Lady Hobbs
11-19-2007, 01:45 AM
I used to fish all the time and had no problem hooking the worms and cleaning the fish. This really, really got to me, tho. I got hot all over, broke out in a sweat, got dizzy.......man, I think I was about to pass out. These guys need to grow bigger mouths because I don't think I can hack it.......ah.......literally.

LOL

Futureboy
11-19-2007, 01:49 AM
Good eatins! lol

Just do one quick chop and don't look.

But make sure you dont chop yourself!

if you need a place to keep them all a bucket with some moist soil and dead leaves should be good enough to keep them

Lady Hobbs
11-19-2007, 01:58 AM
I was wondering about that. They have been refrigeratored in containers but I wondered if I could put them in a flower pot in the closet. The smell of dead worms will not be a good thing but wondered if that wouldn't be better than in my too cold refrigerator.

Futureboy
11-19-2007, 02:01 AM
ha yeah its not to nice

but a decent size container with air holes and what not should be alright

maybe keep it on your balconey or courtyard in case

if you have either of those in your appartment?

Lady Hobbs
11-19-2007, 02:08 AM
What we do have is about 6 ft of snow in the winter months and 20 below.

Think that would work? LOL

Futureboy
11-19-2007, 02:14 AM
heh maybe not so much

at least it would keep the dead ones fresh!

Algenco
11-19-2007, 02:18 AM
Just drop a couple in the blender with a little water, pulse a couple of times and pour into a fishnet and rinse.

Lady Hobbs
11-19-2007, 02:31 AM
Get outta here. I have no blender but wouldn't put worms in it if I had one. Oh God. Now I am really getting sick.

I do have a Slicer/Dicer. LOL

RichBowyer
11-19-2007, 02:35 AM
Maybe that guy next door with the 55 can help you out? :hmm3grin2orange:

squirt_12
11-19-2007, 02:39 AM
just think....when you chop it in half it is still alive...thats not nerves making it move...it is now 2..

Incredulous_Ed
11-20-2007, 03:18 AM
I like to put them in the freezer for a few minute and then chop them up. Makes it soooo much easier.

Lady Hobbs
11-20-2007, 03:21 AM
I got them out again today, washed the dirt off them, got them all ready to cut up and ......................

put them back in the dirt in a flower pot and stuck them in the back of my closet. Man. Hope I don't forget them there. :)

richberstler
11-20-2007, 03:47 AM
The freezer bit is a good idea. Just remember thay feel no pain.

country_boy454
11-20-2007, 04:57 AM
Man i wish our bait shops carried earth worms that small. The earth worms here are huge! And then there are the night crawlers that are even bigger! I know my cichlids wouldnt be able to even eat a chopped up portion of our earth worms. Too big! Good luck with the worms and hey, DON"T FORGET THEM IN YOUR CLOSET. I left some in my jeep one day at about 90 degrees F and i couldnt get that smell out for a good month!

cocoa_pleco
11-20-2007, 05:30 AM
and dont knock over the worm container. lol

*reminisces about cricket incident*

CAF
11-20-2007, 01:30 PM
LOL Hobbsy....

they are food!!! Try a pair of scissors...

Snip... done

RichBowyer
11-20-2007, 02:13 PM
*reminisces about cricket incident*

LOL~ *reminisces about the caterpiller incident* (age 11)

crackatinny
11-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Next time you buy some, ask the guy to cut them in half for you, tell him you have trouble swallowing them whole, he will either cut them for you, or ring the men in white coats:wink2: :hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
11-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Cracked up over that one! LOL

OK....I am not to be undone by a worm. I toss one in the sink and with two knives a quick slash, slash and it was done. By the time I got done, I felt like one of those Japanese cooks that throw their knives up in the air and catch them in their teeth.

Why do worms wiggle like heck if they can not feel anything!

tropfish
11-21-2007, 08:42 PM
I'd think they would kinda notice if half their body was missing lol :ezpi_wink1:

mitcore
11-22-2007, 01:54 AM
i agree with everyone else
close the eyes and chop
or just drop them in whole
great pic

Dave-id
11-23-2007, 02:13 AM
Your picture is absolutely hillarious!

Btw, do we actually know that worms don't feel pain? Or is it just something we like to tell ourselves? A lot of people claim that fish don't feel pain either.. :4:

mitcore
11-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Cracked up over that one! LOL

OK....I am not to be undone by a worm. I toss one in the sink and with two knives a quick slash, slash and it was done. By the time I got done, I felt like one of those Japanese cooks that throw their knives up in the air and catch them in their teeth.

LOL that would have made a good pic
you made me laugh til my sides hurt
you chop them though congrats:hmm3grin2orange: