PDA

View Full Version : Platys

Jammy
07-29-2006, 03:47 PM
I have just added some platys to my tank, :D
The male is eating happy and swimming but the female is acting strange and is staying near the bottom moving its tail franticly :cry:

Can anone please enlighten me on what she is doing?

Jammy
07-29-2006, 03:49 PM
The tank is a 30Gallon tank and already got 9 neon tetras and 1 male bristlenose catfish, i added them by leaving the bag in the tank for 15 mins then added some tank water, then left for 15mins more then added more tank water , waited for 10 more mins then opened the bag into the tank.

I dont know whats wrong with her?

Jammy

Jammy
07-29-2006, 10:06 PM
She was Pregnant!
She just delivered us about 10 babies, thier tiny but am worried about my other fish, will they eat them?

What do i do with the babies? do i add more food every day? do i leave them alone? or what??

Please help

Jammy

William
07-29-2006, 10:50 PM
congratulations!

She might give birth to more y over the coming days.

They may eat their young (platy sometimes leaves them alone sometimes eats them) but some fry usually survive if the tank has some plants in it. Your platy females will give you fry every 4 weeks or so.

What you want to do with the babies are up to you. Some just leave them to fend for themselves while other isolates them.

Some fry will likely survive even if you ignore them (which other fish do you keep) while more fry would survive if you isolate them.

Feed them mashed flake food if you decide to try and raise them.

Jammy
07-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks, I have neon tetras and a bristlenose catfish, will they eat the fry as apparently at the mo they are ignoring them.

Jammy

William
07-30-2006, 11:11 AM
The bristlenose will not touch them, the neons might. I say the fry have more than a fair chance in that setup.