PDA

View Full Version : I recently obtained some Java Moss for my 20 gallon Tall

Shidohari
04-20-2015, 07:23 AM
Given that I have had problems with algae/ diatoms in my 20 gallon tall, I took the plunge. One of the associates at Pet Smart mentioned they had an overabundance of Java Moss, and offered to bring me a small bag for free. I accepted the offer and took it home and placed the rock he'd provided, and rubber banded the extra clump he added due to the rock he provided.

I can definitely see strands growing, and i'm sure eventually the thick rubber band (and I had to hunt for said rubber band because i didn't want to use waxed dental floss) will be covered by it.

The other plants in my tank is 1 Amazon Compacta, 3 little bushes of green crypto, and one strip of green crypto which wasn't able to be separated into individual 'bushes' when i took it out of the package. I also have 2 mossballs.

I am hesitant to add a mid ground plant to the back right hand corner of the tank, even though there's space because I don't know how it will look once the moss fills out. Foreground pants will be the cryptos once they fill out and start getting fuller, and they take most of the left side of the tank and right front side of the tank.

Any thoughts? I do have the fluval stainless steel scissors for pruning if it becomes necessary (unless there's a better brand to use when trimming java moss). I also changed the intake on my filter back to the sponge over the intake entry to lessen the chance of the moss clogging the intake when it finally starts spreading out.

Thanks in advance for reading.

Slaphppy7
04-20-2015, 01:24 PM
Pics of the tank would help :ssmile:

Shidohari
04-20-2015, 09:05 PM
Here you go Slap as you requested.

I'm still getting some strands of bba (they look like java moss strands but are shorter thinner and greyish brown) mixed with diatoms on one of my crypto bunches and slight diatoms on the rest of the plants as they were recently added.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h237/Jamiecole2/20%20gallon%20tall%20tank%20042015_zpsdm4mnhhw.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/Jamiecole2/media/20%20gallon%20tall%20tank%20042015_zpsdm4mnhhw.jpg .html)

Slaphppy7
04-20-2015, 09:13 PM
What is that black thing, back right corner?

Shidohari
04-20-2015, 09:28 PM
What is that black thing, back right corner?

My cobalt heater. I use a veggie clip to hold it because the heater's own suction cups are a pain.

Slaphppy7
04-20-2015, 09:33 PM
I think I'd plant something in front of it to "camoflauge" it...tall plant, maybe an Amazon?

Shidohari
04-20-2015, 09:48 PM
I think I'd plant something in front of it to "camoflauge" it...tall plant, maybe an Amazon?

another amazon compacta or an actual amazon which grows to over twenty inches tall and would need me to trim it occasionally. Also is that a good placement for the moss rock?

Shidohari
04-20-2015, 11:25 PM

Seriously though which type of amazon would you suggest? Amazon compacta gets to 8 inches or so and normal amaxon gets 20 inches.

Thoughts.

Slaphppy7
04-20-2015, 11:26 PM
I think it is a very good placement for the moss rock...the BEST thing about that combo is that you can move it as much as you wish very easily, until it's just right!

With back wall plants, I try to use them to hide my equipment the best I can...that way, the focus is more on the tank, plants, and fish...that's why I suggested the plant by the heater

Gah, a few here could tell you about my thermometer placement OCD, too, lol

Shidohari
04-21-2015, 12:01 AM
i'm glad i'm not the only one ocd about where my thermometer lays. just can't decide if i want to try a taller amazon for the back right side or another amazon compacta which wouldn't get tall enough to cover all of the heater.

I know there are other amazon sword plants out there...it's just a hard decision.

cm12setx
04-21-2015, 12:48 AM
In humor of Compass, bronze crypts.

Slaphppy7
04-21-2015, 01:03 AM
i'm glad i'm not the only one ocd about where my thermometer lays. just can't decide if i want to try a taller amazon for the back right side or another amazon compacta which wouldn't get tall enough to cover all of the heater.

I know there are other amazon sword plants out there...it's just a hard decision.

Understood...have you considered vals of any kind?...they'll grow tall and make a nice canopy, but it does take a while

Still curious about that heater...I have not seen that one before...how old is it?

You could maybe streamline the look on the back of the tank by getting another one that is a bit slimmer that would be easier to hide

Shidohari
04-21-2015, 01:09 AM
Understood...have you considered vals of any kind?...they'll grow tall and make a nice canopy, but it does take a while

Still curious about that heater...I have not seen that one before...how old is it?

You could maybe streamline the look on the back of the tank by getting another one that is a bit slimmer that would be easier to hide

It's a colbalt 75 or 100 heater. i forgot which of the two it was. I like how small it is the only problems is the suction cups wont stay in the holes on the back of the holder. so every time you move it they come out and then you have to get them, reattach them to the back then put them on again.

The heater is very accurate and i paid about 45 dollars after shipping on amazon website (could have been a bit less than that.)

IF i got a marineland heater like the one in my bedroom tank only made for a 20 gal that may be the slimmer effect as it is a round cylinder heater. but i don't know if i want to go that route as this heater is still performing well.

also Vals?

I've never heard of that plant, i mean i have but i don't think I've seen any local. also what kind of light does it need. i think my light is low to moderate in my tank and my only ferts are liquid iron and seachem's liquid carbon supliment.

Slaphppy7
04-21-2015, 01:49 AM
OK then, if it works and maintains a steady temp, that's the most imortant thing.

By 'vals", I mean the Vallisneria, like in these pics: https://www.google.com/search?q=Vallisneria+americana+gigantea&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=d6s1VZuvLZXeoASCloGwDA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=926

They are a rooted plant, easy to grow with medium/low light...they've made a jungle of my 40B, lol

Shidohari
04-21-2015, 03:54 AM
My tank is half the size of your 40g won't that be more of a risk for the vals as most grow to 2 feet long or more.

SueD
04-21-2015, 12:22 PM
It's a colbalt 75 or 100 heater. i forgot which of the two it was. I like how small it is the only problems is the suction cups wont stay in the holes on the back of the holder. so every time you move it they come out and then you have to get them, reattach them to the back then put them on again.

The heater is very accurate and i paid about 45 dollars after shipping on amazon website (could have been a bit less than that.)

I also recently bought a Cobalt for my 20 Long. I have mine submersed horizontally and haven't had any issues with the suction cup (I think I just have one). I wish it was a little slimmer, but it had great reviews for accuracy and it's plastic covered so no glass to break. So far, it's been great.

Slaphppy7
04-21-2015, 01:42 PM
My tank is half the size of your 40g won't that be more of a risk for the vals as most grow to 2 feet long or more.

Just trim them back....you can cut them at any part along the leaf, and they grow right back

Shidohari
04-22-2015, 07:04 AM
Just trim them back....you can cut them at any part along the leaf, and they grow right back

I'll see if i can find some locally. sounds like it would be one of the easiest plants to grow and trim.

Slaphppy7
04-22-2015, 12:25 PM
They are an easy plant to keep...they'll send out "runners" underneath the substrate, and new plants pop up in different locations...if you don't like where they are, just cut them down, but they do keep growing back

Boundava
04-22-2015, 12:42 PM
In humor of Compass, bronze crypts.

Which isn't a bad idea it will introduce another color, that will work with the current scheme and will get tall enough to camouflage the heater. Maybe 2, one on either side.

Like your arrangement and the moss rock looks good there, or you could pull it forward a bit. Also if you have fishing line or clear thread you can use that to tie it onto the rock and it won't stand out so much like the rubberband.

SueD
04-22-2015, 12:55 PM
I think this tank could also use a nice piece of driftwood. Maybe you could find something tall to place in front of the heater and either tie/glue the moss to that, or add some anubia or java fern.

Slaphppy7
04-22-2015, 01:10 PM
I think this tank could also use a nice piece of driftwood. Maybe you could find something tall to place in front of the heater and either tie/glue the moss to that, or add some anubia or java fern.

Good idea...

Shidohari
04-23-2015, 07:18 AM

I used to have two pieces of driftwood (one with java fern on it) in there but they had a massive case of bba or diatoms (or both) on them so i removed them to try to lessen the effect. If i replaced with another piece of driftwood i don't know what i'd put in there as in regards to me and driftwood it's very hard to find a piece that i like that would work with how i have the tank setup. I was also never quite satisfied on how the driftwood sat in my tank so that is why i'm trying it with plants only this time...

Incidentally the third piece of driftwood which originally was in the twenty gallon before i swapped it out with the piece that was originally in the ten gallon tank is much cleaner thanks to the efforts of my cherry shrimp colony. It even has a baby moss ball growing on one of the sides of it.

also at slaphappy, all i had at home was waxed minty dental floss and this rubber band. Since i didn't know how the fish would react to minted dental floss i used the rubber band. totally wish i had fish line though or cotton thread that would eventually disolve.

Shidohari
04-23-2015, 12:31 PM
Which isn't a bad idea it will introduce another color, that will work with the current scheme and will get tall enough to camouflage the heater. Maybe 2, one on either side.

Like your arrangement and the moss rock looks good there, or you could pull it forward a bit. Also if you have fishing line or clear thread you can use that to tie it onto the rock and it won't stand out so much like the rubberband.

Just reread this comment. Bronze Crypto would be easier for me to find i think, and with the size of my tank would also be more appropriate. I also did move the rock forward slightly. I just had it that far back because i like to have a specific area where i know i can safely dump water into the tank without disturbing much.

Added a half capful of iron liquid fert for my amazon compacta today. it's been a couple days since i dosed it last even though i have a seachem root tab very near it. Just fed the fish in this tank as well.

I know there has been growth on the moss, i saw some very fine wavy strands that looked like green algae and took it out, but it may have been an immature floating strand of java moss in the tank. though since my tank is a 20 gallon tall eventual trimming of the moss will be 'fun' since my long handled scissors from fluval are the straight bladed kind.

Thanks again and sorry what you said actually just sunk in. It's been a long week with another night to go as i work two jobs.