PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions?

mermaidwannabe
04-12-2015, 02:23 PM
I am still looking for LARGE, NON-AGGRESSIVE, NON-PREDATORY COLDWATER SHRIMP for my 65. These must be large enough that the fish can't eat them, and peaceful enough that they won't attack or try to eat any of my fish. They must be a species that thrives in a coldwater tank. I'm looking for them to add a little extra invertebrate interest beside just the snails I have. They can also help keep the substrate cleaner in between gravel vacs.

Any suggestions? The only large coldwater shrimp I could find at my LFS were aggressive and predatory Oriental or Chinese shrimp species. In particular, I need a species that won't bother my dojos, since they spend a good deal of time on the substrate or in hiding.

Crayfish are out of the question, due to their claws which they might use to pinch my dojos or other fish that are resting.

Thanks, folks.

Cliff
04-12-2015, 03:15 PM
Depending on what other fish you have in your tank, have you looked into amano shrimp ?

They might work.

Singapore flower shrimp may also be a option but I think they might need water temps closer to 70F

Anders247
04-12-2015, 03:59 PM
This makes it hard, since the dojos will likely eat any shrimp....and the few larger shrimp there are is bamboo shrimp and giant african filter shrimp, but they like higher temps. And you want to skip the Macrobrachium sp, since those are aggressive.....Amano shrimp would likely be the best bet, but I'd think they'd be eaten.

mermaidwannabe
04-12-2015, 05:02 PM
Looks like whatever I get, I'll be feeding my dojos live food. Perhaps if they get enough to eat during regular feedings, they might not be hungry enough to eat the Amanos. Perhaps a compromise is in order -- get enough amanos that some won't get eaten, provide more hiding places, or simply resign to replacing the amanos from time to time.

I can research the bamboos shrimp and african filter shrimp to see what they can adapt to on the lower temperature end, if properly acclimated.

Other fish in the 65 include seven rosy barbs, four rosy (fathead) minnows, a zebra danio, a yellow glofish and a blue glofish, as well as the three dojos. Only other inverts are snails that came in on the plants.