PDA

View Full Version : Olaf the pleco

Argentis
04-08-2015, 11:55 PM
Hey everyone! I recently stocked my 20G tank that has been cycling and I added the most adorable, teeny tiny Pleco that I have named Olaf.
My hubby wanted one of 'the cool sucker fish' fish, and If it was up to him the entire tank would be stocked with plecos (which I said no to, sorry!)

Either way, our LFS has this little thing classified as a "Sm. captive bred bristle nose". I'm no expert on plecos, so I went with it, could anyone ID this litre one? It's about an inch long and is a very good cleaner fish, loves my driftwood (and the pirate ship..)

Olaf photo! (http://flic.kr/p/s2qHPS) (Ignore his twin brother Falo, he's crazy! ;) )

Anders247
04-09-2015, 03:35 PM
I don't see a picture. If it is a bristlenose, then it's fine in there.

Boundava
04-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Olaf is very cute (click on "Olaf photo" its a link). It looks to be a BN, but has a bit to grow before you can tell if its a boy or girl. Girls won't get the bristles that are their namesake (well if they do then they are stubby and few). Love the reference to his "crazy" brother, nice reflection...lol. Plecos have a big impact on water quality (kind of like goldfish) so need a very good filtration. You may need to increase it as he grows, depending on what you have now.

Congrats on Olaf! can't wait to watch him/her grow.

Anders247
04-09-2015, 04:07 PM
Oh, OK, thanks Boundava! Yeah, that's a BN.

Argentis
04-09-2015, 08:33 PM
Yay! Phew! I was worried that Olaf would end up being a "common pleco" .... Not in the market for a monster tank just yet!

I'll keep an eye for bristles, I'd feel bad for naming Olaf if he's a she.

Slaphppy7
04-09-2015, 08:38 PM
There's always 'Olafia'.....

Anders247
04-09-2015, 08:43 PM
Lol, the most common female Scandinavian name is Lena. So if it's a female, then Lena, if it's a male, Olaf.

Boundava
04-09-2015, 08:55 PM
The first BN I brought home looked just like that, I name him George (looney tunes anyone). As he grew I realized he was a she and she became Georgia...lol

Gogi
04-11-2015, 01:29 AM
The first BN I brought home looked just like that, I name him George (looney tunes anyone). As he grew I realized he was a she and she became Georgia...lol

OMG!! My first bn was named Georgia by my wife but as it grew we realized its a boy so we changed it to Georgio!!!!!!! hahahaha

Boundava
04-11-2015, 01:37 AM
That is too funny. I have had a lot of mr/ms names, but when we got dojos I named the smallest Houdini because he would disappear and get in the tightest spots, now Houdini is the biggest dojo in the tank which means she is actually a girl. Funny how it works out. Now we look at their fins to see if its male/female. Males have longer front-pectoral fins which allow them to "posture" (they look like they are doing push ups) to attract mates. Funny guys.

Argentis
04-13-2015, 03:19 AM
Lol, the most common female Scandinavian name is Lena. So if it's a female, then Lena, if it's a male, Olaf.

Ooh I like that name, Lena. Nice, I'll keep an eye on Olaf/Lena!