PDA

View Full Version : Filtration Problem

Alex_discus
03-30-2015, 06:43 PM
My skimmer is not going well and its always doing random backwashes in the colelction cup.

How long can I keep the 10g with just a HOB filter with carbon bag and sponge ?
It's all I can really do, I donnot want to get a skimmer for the nano I am getitng a new skimmer within a month for a bigger tank.

Cliff
03-30-2015, 08:27 PM
Refresh my memorie here, this is the tank that you are using liverock for your filtration and it is still cycling ?

If I am remembering your set-up correctly, then yes, you can go without a skimmer for a few months without worry. Just add some additional flow to the surface of the water to make sure your water get's oxygenated properly. You may have to do a few extra water changes as well to keep the nitrates at or below 5ppm.

After all, if that skimmer has never been working correctly, it hasn't been helping your tank at all (other than increasing the oxygen levels)

Alex_discus
03-30-2015, 08:50 PM
Yes this tank has been cycling for about 2 weeks almost. Now After all my tests my only problem is with the salinity going up or down .001 because of my skimmer doing thouse backwashes. M"y nitrites are at 0 but nitrates still 5.0ppm after a water change of 20%.

the HOB filter is for a 50G tank hopefuly that will be enough water movement with my pump.

I will make the change. thanks

Cliff
03-30-2015, 11:06 PM
Your skimmer will not effect your salinity. That is likely coming from evaporation or just testing error form you refactormeter. Either way, 0.001 is not a big enough difference to be worried about. If it gets to be a bigger difference than that, I would spent the time to find out why.

Keep up with the water changes to make sure the nitrates stay down

How much live rock to you have in there right now ?

Alex_discus
03-31-2015, 03:03 AM
What I meant by the salinity going down is when my skimmers intake bucket would overflow, that water would all backwash in my collection cup which in a nano tank brings the water level down about 1/4 inch.
That happening almost twice a day I would end up loosing some of that water.

That being said it's gone now the water is nice at the top goood flow.
I got 7 pounds of live and 8 pounds of dry

Cliff
03-31-2015, 03:49 AM
Skimmers can only remove organic material form the water (proteins and wasts), not inorganic material (the salt and minerals)

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/protein-skimmers/

kaybee
03-31-2015, 04:27 PM
Technically, unless it's very dry skimmate, doesn't the skimmate consist of saltwater water, along with the organic matter that is also being drawn out? If that water 'loss' is being replaced by freshwater (for top off) there would be some sort of salinity reduction, I would think.

Though I'll have to admit, however, I've never tested the SG of a cup of skimmate before. (blush)

Cliff
03-31-2015, 05:33 PM
Yes, the water in the cup will be the same salinity as the water in the tank. In the OP's case, it kept flowing back into the tank
Not too sure if you could accuratly test the salinity of the water in the cup as the increased organic matter in there would most likely cause you to get inaccurate readins

Alex_discus
03-31-2015, 06:25 PM
Well from my experience in a 10G I can tell you a skimmer that doesnt do what it's suposed to and always returning a full cup in the water cup twice a day, that's considerable. my salinity would drop at the beggining to .023 ( thats when I was tryinig to get it working)

I have a clove polyp which wasnt fully extended before. Today it is about twice as long ( cant get the pic in here to show yet), But the gloves dont open and close yet... could be the result of my nitrates still being at 5.0ppm. Salinity though moving up and down was bothering it 100% sure.

Alex_discus
03-31-2015, 06:31 PM
Now

Before ( kinda hard to tell by the way they arent placed in the same position anymore)

Cliff
03-31-2015, 07:21 PM
Both the salinity moving up and down and the very high nitrites are waht is likely bothering the coral

When you remove water from your skimmer cup, replace that same amount of water with some premixed salt water. When you top up for evaporation, replace that with fresh water.

I would that coral would fully open once the salinity is stable and the nitrite is 0ppm.

Alex_discus
04-02-2015, 11:30 PM
I did test salinity is at .025 nitrates 0ppm nitrates still 5ppm ph 80. and amonia 0ppm.
But unless it's because I am new to the SW I find my dead rocks are turning brown/yellow and not the same as my live ones. Here is a pic
U can see on the pic at the bottom right side a piece of live rock.

Cliff
04-02-2015, 11:41 PM
Look like some diatoms on your new rock

Alex_discus
04-03-2015, 12:41 AM
From what I can read this type of algea is great for snails. I got rid of snails but loooks like theres not enough. I got only 1 bubble bee 4 hermits and 1 nassarius.

apparently it could be bcs my salt contains silica but i been keeping up with water changes. silica would be from dead algea maybe burried in sand ( I use syphon to clean rocks twice theres no algea anyways in there...

Cliff
04-03-2015, 01:00 AM
All salt with have trace amounts of silicates. They are naturally found all throughout the ocean, but in trace amounts

You are likely getting silicate leaching out from your substrate. That can be pretty common with most new substrate. Dead algae will not release enough silicates to result in diatoms

You can also get silicates in significant quantities from fresh water supples, but if you are using RO water, then you would not be adding any silicates into your salt water

Once the silicates are back to trace levels, your diatoms will die off and go away.

Alex_discus
04-03-2015, 01:29 AM
well how do i measure this silicate level in my tank and is there a supplement i can add to get it up ?
My water which i am adding in tank is freshwater not RO, I simply add the de-chlorifier medication and let the water circulate in the bucket.

Cliff
04-03-2015, 01:40 AM
You only want trace amounts of silicate. You will get that from any/all good quality mix, no need to test for it.

You do not want to increase your silicate level about trace amounts or you will end up getting diatoms

What to you mean by "de-chlorifier medication" that you are adding to your water ?

Alex_discus
04-03-2015, 04:41 AM
Nutrafin aqua+plus tap water conditioner

Cliff
04-03-2015, 12:41 PM
I personally would not use any water conditioner or dechlorinater when you are using RO water to make your salt water. As long as you are getting no more than around 5ppm of TDS in your RO water, you won't need to add anything. The RO membrane will removal all chlorine, chlorimines, and all of the other water treatment chemicals that you will find in our water supply.

Alex_discus
04-05-2015, 06:30 PM
I bought 1 a astraea snail and since the algea is slowly but still kinda quickly disapearing.

Quick question about Rainford goby, I got 1 which is my only fish that will be in the 10g. I cant feed him since everytime he sees me he goes hiding under some rocks. But he does come out ( only when im far from tank). So trying to give him food is impossible. And my peppermint shrimp is a real pain bcs it snatches anything that falls. Do peppermint shrimps eat mysis shrimp ? I can maybe switch to this food for my goby that way my shrimp stops eating it. Any tips ? Im feeding my goby or at least I think I am Formula one pellets from Ocean Nutrition (small ball pellets) is what im feeding shrimp and goby with.

Cliff
04-05-2015, 06:55 PM
Your shrimp will eat almost any food offered to him

It can also take up to two weeks for fish to feel comfortable in a new tank. I would give the goby at least 6 days to start to act normal

I would not over board offering your goby too much in the way of meaty food. They are Omnivores and need more a balanced diet for longterm health. You could try seaweed tied to a small rock placed close to were the goby likes to hide. If you spot feed the shrimp some meaty foods or flakes with tweezers, he will be less likely to steel all of the seaweed