PDA

View Full Version : Officially giving up on angle:(

waldo
03-25-2015, 02:55 PM
I don't know whats up but every angelfish I buy dies within 1-2 weeks. The first 2 I though were attacked by my apistos so they went into their own tank and I bought another angel. It seemed ok yesterday morning but I found it dead last night, no apparent wounds or illness.
I suspect it might be my moderately hard water. Really depressing as I so wanted angels for center piece fish, now I don't know what to try.

Slaphppy7
03-25-2015, 03:00 PM
Sorry to hear this...were they all bought form the same LFS?...maybe they just keep getting bad stock, or don't care for them properly before they are sold?

Have you ever considered any of the gouramis?...beautiful fish, mostly calm and sedate temperaments

waldo
03-25-2015, 03:14 PM
No, they came from different pet stores. This last angel came from a store only a mile away, their water is from the same supply as mine.
I was thinking about gouramis, I think the lfs has honey and powder blues.

Slaphppy7
03-25-2015, 03:20 PM
Hmmm...strange...I'd look into the gouramis, they're really neat fish...we enjoy our pearl gourami alot

Boundava
03-25-2015, 04:42 PM
Second gourami's, have 8 honeys and they are a hoot! Need to get 2 more females to replace the 2 that died earlier this month.

waldo
03-25-2015, 08:13 PM
I ended up getting two snakeskin gourami's. Not as pretty as some but they will get big, which I wanted.

Slaphppy7
03-25-2015, 08:20 PM
Hope they do well for you!

McG
03-29-2015, 03:12 AM
I hear you. I've been in the same position. But finally I think things are looking up for my Angels. First off, I noticed that the Angels I bought online are the ones doing better than those that came from a pet store. I lost quite a few from a pet store, and they were from several different stores. Our water is hard too, but that shouldn't really be an issue, I hear, and that fish can get used to this. I noticed that with those that died, it started with clamped fins. I didn't know any better at first, so didn't do anything about it, because the fish ate fine, and the water parameters were fine. After losing a few Angels to this mysterious condition, I looked at various medications at Pets Mart. Because I didn't know what was wrong with them, the best choice was All-in-One Remedy by Marineland. So the moment I noticed clamped fins again, I treated the entire tank with this medication (carbon removed, which is important). Once their fins opened up again, after treatment, they actually started to grow and flourish. I wonder if they had some sort of a parasite that they brought in with them from the store? Anyway, I bought 4 Angels from Live Aquaria.com, and all of them are doing fine. I bought at least 8-10 from local pet stores, and only 3 of those made it.
Good luck!