PDA

View Full Version : Fish for a planted tank with small Atyid shrimp?

Challwa
03-15-2015, 06:48 PM
Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone knows what - if any - kinds of fish I could have in my 40 L planted shrimp tank? I have Neocaridina and Caridina species shrimp, as well as one Tiger nerite and two Zebra Nerites. The tank is very healthy and stable now, so I want some advice before change its dynamics.

I've read that Heterandria formosa is a good choice for such shrimp, but I still want to be careful, of course; thanks everyone! :shappy:

Slaphppy7
03-15-2015, 08:59 PM
You can keep many, many different fish with shrimp

Any fish with a mouth big enough to eat shrimp can/will eat them, but not always

If you are worried about the shrimp, get small fish with small mouths...and provide your shrimp with lots of cover and hiding places; if a few are eaten, no big deal if you have a healthy,reproducing population

Challwa
07-06-2015, 09:09 PM
Thank you! I found out that, for my 40 L planted tank with Atyid shrimp and a few nerites: Eight white cloud minnows and four Danio margaritatus (AKA galaxy rasboras) are doing great for me, and I've also read that Oryzias spp.(AKA the medaka or ricefish genus) are great choices too (http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/oryzias-woworae/), so I myself plan on getting a few of these as well to finish it off.
PS: Sorry I repeated this thread: I was afraid of thread necro! (blush)

shrimpaholich
08-31-2015, 10:15 PM
do NOT pick mosquito fish. they are carnivores.