PDA

View Full Version : Do plecos need to hide?

prr
03-15-2015, 01:23 AM
Reason why I'm asking is that our pleco (55 ga tank, fish is now about 8-9 inches long) used to hide almost all the time in daylight. We would usually only see him in the morning when we turned on the light.

Lately, we've been seeing him around the aquarium almost 24/7.

I'm wondering if this is because he has "outgrown" a couple of large shells that we have (the only places he could have hidden inside the aquarium). Would he be hiding more (his preference) if we got him bigger shells? They both appear to have room inside, even for him now, but I'm sure his fins would be touching the inside of the shell--perhaps he doesn't like that?

If he has simply outgrown the practice of hiding, that is fine--he is a breathtaking brindle, and I'd prefer to see him around the aquarium. But if he'd be more comfortable hiding, then I'd go ahead and buy a large shell.

Reason why I'm asking, is that we got our tax refund, and now is a very good time for me to shell out the bucks (it won't be cheap).

In this tank, we have about 15 neon tetras, 3 snails, and 3 small (1-2 inch) feeder fish.

SueD
03-15-2015, 01:42 AM
I have bushy nose plecos (about 6") in two tanks and recently rehomed two others I had in a 3rd tank. My plecos are usually hiding if I am near the tank, either in one of the caves I have for them, or sometimes simply under a piece of driftwood. If standing away from tank, they may be seen from time to time out in the open. If they are in the open to feed, they will generally rush back to the safety of their hiding spot if I approach again.

When you mention "shells" do you mean a cave of some sort? Do you have some driftwood available for him? From the size you mention, I'm assuming this is a common pleco. Generally, I think many if not most of the plecos should have somewhere to hide when they feel the need for it. Even if it's under a piece of driftwood where they are not really completely hidden, they think they are and apparently feel safer there.

madagascariensis
03-15-2015, 01:51 AM
Sucker mouth catfish tend to be reclusive and most would appreciate an appropriately sized hiding spot. That being said, mature adults of large species commonly spend all their time exposed presumably because they've outgrown a vulnerable size. Your pleco sounds pretty big. If it doesn't look like it is uncomfortable and attempting to hide (e.g. Cowering in the darkest corner of the tank) then it probably is fine.

prr
03-15-2015, 01:56 AM
Sucker mouth catfish tend to be reclusive and most would appreciate an appropriately sized hiding spot. That being said, mature adults of large species commonly spend all their time exposed presumably because they've outgrown a vulnerable size. Your pleco sounds pretty big. If it doesn't look like it is uncomfortable and attempting to hide (e.g. Cowering in the darkest corner of the tank) then it probably is fine.

Interesting, what you said. His favorite spot is where we have some fake plants and the filter nozzle sticks down into the water, I'm sure giving him a fair feeling of being hidden. But even when he isn't there, he sure doesn't act like he's trying to hide, even when we are around and turn on the light.

I think you've pointed to a key point here--if he doesn't look like he's trying to hide all the time, then its probably because he doesn't want to.

Having said that, I'll still get him a bigger shell if the price is right, but at least now I know it is a luxury, not a need.

Thanks both for your responses. As far as shells, what I meant was a big shell (I dunno, 10 inches across) that have empty caverns that he can access (some 5 inches high). There are two of them in the aquarium. There are also fake plants, and a plastic treasure box (some 4 inches tall and wide) that he likes to suck off of.

skradtim
05-01-2015, 03:25 AM
just a vibration will send mine into hiding. i they it's more natural to have a hiding area. who wants to be in a spotlight 24/7