PDA

View Full Version : Red Cherry Shrimp gone in an hour

Aahz
03-14-2015, 10:21 PM
Okay, I'm prepared to take my lumps on this one. I have a 36g bow front tank, set up three months ago. In it, I have a gold gourami, two blue gourami, a rainbow shark, and a pictus catfish. I've started setting it up as a planted aquarium, so there is a lot of java moss growing on rocks, some dwarf hairgrass, and an anubias plant.

Here's the issue: I got 12 red cherry shrimp today, ranging from 1/2" to 1" (plus a dozen fry mixed in). I added them to my tank and they seemed to be doing great - climbing around, eating algae, etc. I realize some may get eaten, but my tank is full of rock caves, so I figured the population might keep up. Well, an hour later they are all gone. I looked all over, but no sign of them. I checked the filter, I looked around the rocks, nothing. After a while, I found one jetting around, but now he is gone again.

So I realize I have predator fish, but is it possible they ate all my shrimp in 1-2 hours? The pictus is full grown (and usually hides in his cave), but the gouramis are only about three inches long. I did a 25% change later in the day, which stirred everything up, but still no shrimp. Did I just spend a lot of money to feed my fish?

Slaphppy7
03-15-2015, 02:17 AM
Did I just spend a lot of money to feed my fish?

Yes, the rainbow shark (Epalzeorhynchos frenatum) and catfish (Pimelodus pictus) had quite the handsome feast

And both of those fish grow way too large to be kept in a 36G tank comfortably