PDA

View Full Version : My angels died

waldo
03-12-2015, 02:37 PM
I found my two baby angels dead, stuck to the filter intake tube last night. They were fine that morning so I don't know what happened. There was also a dwarf live bearer almost dead along with them.

In the last week I have added some dried oak leaves and coconut caves. I also brought home two Apistogramma agassizii, they are both young but are sowing signs of breeding behavior. I wonder if the cichlids killed the angels? I didn't really see any damage to them but one's fins were ripped up quite a lot. There is a dwarf live bearer that has very ragged fines and looks quite bad, she is following the cichlids around though and I've seen them attacking her. Really confused why a fish would follow a bigger fish that is attacking it.

I don't have a test kit but I did a partial water change last night just in case. I will take a sample for testing to the lsf today. I'm tempted to try angels again but wouldn't want to if they were killed by my other fish.
All the other fish appear fine this morning except the one live bearer with a death wish I think I'm going to euthanize, the cichlids are slowly killing her.

Slaphppy7
03-12-2015, 02:44 PM
So sorry to hear of these losses...terrible news

I'm not sure it was the apistos, but they do get a bit aggressive when breeding...keep in mind, angels are cichlids too, so maybe the match was not a good one...how long have the two been together?

What kind of fish is the "dwarf live bearer"?

I implore you to get a good test kit, and test on your own....IMO, a good liquid test kit is a must-have tool in fishkeeping

waldo
03-12-2015, 03:05 PM
From what I've read, angels and the agassizii can co exist in a large enough tank. I was actually warned that it was more likely for the angels to be the aggressors. At this point, the cichlids only bother the other fish if they get right in their face.
They had only been together for 6 days, the angels were new too, maybe 3 days before the apistos came home. The dwarf live bearers are Heterandria formosa.

I will purchase a test kit soon, I know I need my own.

Slaphppy7
03-12-2015, 03:13 PM
I see...I'd really like to know your params, please get the kit soon

Your livebearer is a "least killifish"...from seriouslyfish.com: "Not a community fish in the general sense, although it’s very peaceful. Males in particular are so tiny that they will be seen as a snack by many of the commonly kept species. It will also not compete well with more vigorous tankmates. Other similarly-sized, non-predatory species such as pencil fish, dwarf Corydoras, Otocinclus and freshwater shrimp are the best choices."

Boundava
03-12-2015, 03:42 PM
So sorry to read about your losses. Sudden, unexplained losses are the worst, maybe they brought something internal with them and it just played out in your tank.

waldo
03-12-2015, 07:15 PM
water tested 0 for ammonia and nitrite. I'm trying angels one more time, picked up a beautiful paraiba angel that is bigger then the tiny guys I had before.

Slaphppy7
03-12-2015, 07:17 PM
From the same store where you bought the previous angels?

How about ph and trAtes?

waldo
03-12-2015, 07:32 PM
No, it came from a different store. PH is 6 and I didn't ask about trAtes.

steeler58
03-12-2015, 07:33 PM
Sorry for the loss of your Angels :(

Slaphppy7
03-12-2015, 07:39 PM
No, it came from a different store. PH is 6 and I didn't ask about trAtes.

That's a bit low....what is your tap ph?

waldo
03-12-2015, 07:55 PM
I think it was 6.8

waldo
03-12-2015, 08:40 PM
I could be remembering wrong, maybe the tank was ph 8 and the tap was 8.6. I know the tap was slightly higher then the tank water and we had talked about how to lower the PH some as it was a tad high for the apistos.