PDA

View Full Version : Hair grass care. Beginner Planter

Kalene
03-06-2015, 01:01 AM
Hello, everyone. Today I have decided to purchase my first live plant and yes, I am very excited. May anyone please tell me about the care profile for Hair Grass please. Thanks for any advice.

philthy
03-06-2015, 02:12 AM
I cant believe it. I typed for like 10 minutes and then lost it all.

So in short, because im lazy and dont want to type it all again:

dont go buying plants unless you know a bit about them, otherwise you're destined to fail.

There are several types of hair grass, each is cared for differently. On the left hand side of this webpage is a section called "plant Species" - Check out the Eleocharis varieties for your hair grass.

If this is your first plant dont go with hair grass in my opinion. Go for something easy like Ambulia or Cabomba (I cant tell the difference between the two or confidently identify which species I've been keeping). It grows like crazy and is easy to maintain.

Cliff
03-06-2015, 02:15 AM
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myPlants.php?do=view&p=66&n=Dwarf_Hairgrass_Elocharis_acicularis

philthy
03-06-2015, 02:38 AM
Oh, I assumed we weren't supposed to link other forums so I've been avoiding it for ages :p

.. could of saved some hassles haha

DougStanley
03-06-2015, 03:54 AM
What kind of light do you have? Hair grass takes medium to high light.

What kind of substrate?

What fauna?

Kalene
03-06-2015, 02:55 PM
I cant believe it. I typed for like 10 minutes and then lost it all.

So in short, because im lazy and dont want to type it all again:

dont go buying plants unless you know a bit about them, otherwise you're destined to fail.

There are several types of hair grass, each is cared for differently. On the left hand side of this webpage is a section called "plant Species" - Check out the Eleocharis varieties for your hair grass.

If this is your first plant dont go with hair grass in my opinion. Go for something easy like Ambulia or Cabomba (I cant tell the difference between the two or confidently identify which species I've been keeping). It grows like crazy and is easy to maintain.

Yes, Sir!! umm, yes i have to admit this was an impulse purchase :/ I skimmed over the care profile. But i haven't planted it yet. If anything I will return it back to the store.

Kalene
03-06-2015, 02:57 PM
What kind of light do you have? Hair grass takes medium to high light.

What kind of substrate?

What fauna?
I have an Aqueon Floramax 17W 120V T8 bulb....
Black aquarium sand from petco
fauna... none

Kalene
03-07-2015, 03:46 AM
Is it ok to have or should I save the trouble and just return it?

DougStanley
03-07-2015, 05:01 AM
I should've asked the tank size as well. I'm assuming this is your 29g from your journal.

If it is you will be limited in what you can grow if anything at all.(someone correct me if they know of low light plants for .58 wpg) I think you'll need to upgrade your lighting to start with, even higher wpg for carpeting plants.

Nautilus291
03-07-2015, 07:35 AM
If it is the 29g it is going to make it even harder to grow a carpet plant since it is harder for the light to penetrate down to the bottom of the tank.

adamlafrance
03-07-2015, 02:11 PM
I started my live plants with a few Anubis plants and they're super easy, low maintenance. As far as lighting, I switched over from the aqueon fluorescent that came with the tank to the Current USA Satelite LED Plus and have nothing but good things to say about it. A bit expensive, but 100% worth it if you're willing to make the buy.

Switchfoot55
03-08-2015, 09:57 PM
Not to discount anything anyone has said so far, but the theme has seemed rather negative... which is unfortunate.

Be excited! Planted tasks are awesome, if not mind numbingly frustrating at times (especially when first starting out).

It's true that with your current setup you may have some difficulty with any sustained growth. Hair grass can be finicky. I'd say based on your substrate alone you may have some issues. I have sand and found it hard to keep the grass rooted for very long and battled it until I gave up.

You can always try to take it back and find something else. Part of the joy for me is leaning what works for my tank and style. Nothing wrong with giving it a shot!

Ultimately have fun. It's a hobby after all!