PDA

View Full Version : Angels in a 55?

waldo
03-04-2015, 03:55 AM
I'd like to add some angles to my 55 gallon, what is a good number to start with? I was thinking 4-6.

Currently I have 15 or so dwarf livebears, 8 ember tetras, 2 white clouds, 1 BN pleco, 3 khuli loach and a bunch of cherry shrimp. I figure many of the live bears will eventually get eaten, along with the shrimp. The only fish I'm really concerned about are the khuli, I assume the angels won't really bother bottom feeders?

My tank has a few live plants, a couple fake plants, some plastic decorations of various heights with black sand for substrate. I'll be getting some Vallisneria in the near future.

luke77
03-04-2015, 10:54 AM
I think I would just do two angels. If they pair you really wouldn't be able to keep any more in there with them.

waldo
03-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Thanks, I picked up two little ones today.

WhistlingBadger
03-05-2015, 04:30 PM
Hi, Waldo. I haven't kept angels for a long time, but I think the standard procedure for a 55g tank is to get a group of around 6 little ones. Once they grow up, pair off, and start picking on each other, you can rehome all but one mated pair. Either way, getting them small is the way to go--I hear they're less predatory when they grow up with potential prey animals, and never learn to associate them with food.

White clouds are a strange choice for that tank, since they are a cool-water species. I'm guessing that addition was not part of a master plan? :) If they're doing OK, though, no worries.

Good luck!

Tom

waldo
03-05-2015, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I wish I would have gotten more. The store I got them from isn't close but a family member might be going in a day or two and she will pick up at least 2 more for me.
The white clouds were a on a whim, they aren't common at stores around here so when I saw goldens for.99, I had to get some. They were small and not too healthy, I lost all but the last 2. They are doing quite well now though, they school with my ember tetras.