PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking this is a common placo

Cubikins
02-26-2015, 11:17 PM

I'm sorry for quality..mid water change had take his castle out so could see him..

I know if it's a common my tank is way to small..but he was originally bought for brother 100 plus Oscar tank.. But is to small brother was afraid to keep I said I would until go bigger .. But the switch in tank ( emergency) he does not seem to be eating.. Am getting some drift wood from friend saterday went from heavily planted tank to hardly no plants.. ..

Boundava
02-27-2015, 12:00 AM
The fact that he went from lots of hiding to none may have him stressed, he should be ok with a couple days of not eating. I am on the phone so can't really tell from the photos right now if he is common pleco.

Cubikins
02-27-2015, 12:11 AM
Well it's been a week now.. And he seems so small now.. Got a couple more of him..

toddnbecka
02-27-2015, 05:59 AM
Definitely a common, will eat just about anything (flakes, pellets, etc.) as well as some algae and/or veggies.

Cubikins
02-27-2015, 07:05 AM
Thanks.. Toddnbecka finally saw him munching on the zucchini so I have sighed a breath of relief .. Funny thing is always thought he was bigger than this but then iv only had him for a month or so.. The vegetable slice is about an inch round so he just a baby still..

Boundava
02-27-2015, 01:17 PM
yup, a common and glad to hear he is eating. Just took a bit to get used to his new home. Nothing wrong with a common if you have the room for him, and if he's going back to your brother Oscar tank when he is bigger-then that is going to be good for both of you. thumbs2: He is a little cutie. I :heart: plecos

Cubikins
02-27-2015, 07:14 PM
Oh yes he is going to Oscar tank when big enough not to be eaten..we'll unless I can talk bF into getting a second bigger tank..going to be getting drift wood for him tomarrow.. So he will have new place to hide..

Slaphppy7
02-27-2015, 07:18 PM
He can get up to 18 inches long: http://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Pleco.htm

Boundava
02-27-2015, 07:52 PM
So you will need at minimum a 55 gallon, 75 would be better and a filter for a tank 5 times that size as plecos are major poopers and need a high filtration rate to keep the water clean.

And he can actually get up to 24" if you take really good care of him. Good for an Oscar tank.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/pleco/common.php

Cubikins
02-27-2015, 07:58 PM
I rally doubt bf will let me have a bigger tank to get this new tank I had to pull but it can be valentine and anniversary gift..lots of talking and me telling him that I'd have to get rid of all the fish or they would die in the tank they were in..lots of puppy dog eyed looks, and walla new tank..thumbs2:

Slaphppy7
02-27-2015, 08:02 PM
..lots of puppy dog eyed looks, and walla new tank..thumbs2:

Tried, but didn't work with Mrs. Slap.

Cubikins
02-27-2015, 08:06 PM
Lol sorry to hear that.. But he has suggested I could get another tank after we get our own house, which may not be for years yet..need build credit up.from zero ..lol he has been debt free for twenty plus years so no one will own moby ..but I can see new house filled with tanks of all snaps and sizes...:goldfish::fish:

Own moby = loan money...damn invention of auto correct

Cubikins
03-09-2015, 08:24 PM
My pleco thankfully / sadly went to another home today..getting homed in a 75g tank fully cycled planted and has several drift wood caves to hide in.. Friend recently lost theirs to unknown causes..they had it four around five years.. Got it about the same size as mine, grew to be about 18 inches when finally passed..he was thinking it may have gotten stuck under a rock they had recently placed on tank..cause that's were they found home after a couple days of not seeing home at all..they did take rock out..they were not going to get another..but I convinced them to take mine..again puppy dog eyes work rather well...at least on him not his wife lol..just told her it was free ..and they would not need to get the five or so fish he wanted to add to tank..though I did offer some swordtail fry..too..but themed propaly just get eaten

Home in places means him. Silly auto correct

Slaphppy7
03-09-2015, 08:26 PM
Good job rehoming the pleco, it's better for all concerned, including the pleco

Cubikins
03-09-2015, 08:32 PM
Thank you slaphppy7 for my pleco pic :1luvu: it

Slaphppy7
03-09-2015, 08:34 PM
You are very welcome, he'll keep you company in the absence of the other :22: