PDA

View Full Version : Water Sprite

WhistlingBadger
02-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Hi, all. I ordered some water sprite from my lfs; it should be here tomorrow. I plan on growing it rooted. As is often the case, the research I've done has yielded contradictory results--some say it can't grow well rooted and should only be floated or grown in shallow water where it can reach the surface; others say it is sometimes floated but does best rooted; still others say it needs to be grown emergently to really do well.

This means that we have either a remarkably versatile plant, or a remarkably fickle one, or a bunch of "experts" who are going on second- and third-hand information. :hmm3grin2orange:

Anybody around here have experience with this particular plant? If so, please do enlighten me.

Cheers--
Tom

Cliff
02-03-2015, 03:30 PM
I have had good success floating it, and planting it

I think success or failure is more realted to this plant getting all the nutriants and lighting it needs rather than if you put it in your substrate or not

Boundava
02-03-2015, 04:50 PM
When I had it I started it floating, then when I noticed roots forming, then I went ahead and planted it and it exploded in my tank, so much so that I would up removing it because it took up 1/3 of my 75 gallon tank. I am having the same problem with a tiger lotus/lilly that is taking over the tank too.
If you do decide to plant it outright, make sure you remove any leaves that will sit below the substrate and try not to form a tight clump of the stems because it will encourage rotting too. That's is part of the reason I started it floating, that way it would acclimate to my tank conditions-and I could trim off any rotting of the stem's ends before I put it in the substrate.

luke77
02-03-2015, 05:47 PM
I use it both was with great result. It will take over my tank so I keep giving stuff away.

WhistlingBadger
02-03-2015, 06:42 PM
That's what I needed to know. Thanks!

Tom

madagascariensis
02-03-2015, 11:13 PM
My watersprite did poorly until I let it float. Watersprite actually consists of several similar, related species. It would be that the conflicting information comes from different people growing different species without knowing it.

luke77
02-04-2015, 12:45 AM
That is correct. The only species that did really well for me was the potted variety. Don't know why but the others just didn't Work out.

WhistlingBadger
02-04-2015, 01:02 PM
Well, that makes sense. This batch is potted so I'm optimistic. I'll let you know how it does...

Boundava
02-04-2015, 01:36 PM
Potted already has a nice set of roots so you can just plant them directly in substrate. The one thing I loved with the sprite was its lacy leaves, if you have the right conditions be prepared for it to grow exponentially.

WhistlingBadger
02-04-2015, 01:54 PM
I like plants that grow exponentially. :) Trimming is nice work--feels like an accomplishment. We'll see how it goes--costs me about two bucks to find out.

I do like the look of those lacy leaves, too. The sprite and ambulia (I finally found ambulia! Woo hoo--been looking for that for a year or two!) should make a nice contrast to the bamboo, java ferns, etc.

Does anybody know if WS is OK with Flourish Excel? That's what I use for carbon.

T

Boundava
02-04-2015, 02:16 PM
Yes, Excel is fine with it. I can say I don't know a plant that it doesn't work well with.

luke77
02-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Mine really took off after I started dosing excel.

WhistlingBadger
02-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Yes, Excel is fine with it. I can say I don't know a plant that it doesn't work well with.

I used to have cabomba and elodea, and the Excel killed it off. At least, I'm pretty sure that's what did it in.

T

Boundava
02-04-2015, 03:18 PM
Never used the two together so I can't say, but I have used it with the sprite and it thrived. I also dosed every other day because I didn't have the CO2 set up yet. With the CO2 I cut the excel down to every 4th day