PDA

View Full Version : Shy pleco?

aquamama
01-28-2015, 02:53 AM
I got my first bristlenose pleco this week and wondered if his (or her) shy behaviour is normal, or is a result of sickness or stress. It is still a baby (just over an inch) and curently housed in my 10g until the 25 is done cycling. I also have a dwarf gourami in there who thinks he is boss, and 4 tetra who would get along with anyone. I dont see the pleco at all unless i really look, it is ALWAYS hiding - is this normal? Parameters in the tank are all ok.

SueD
01-28-2015, 03:26 AM
I got my first bristlenose pleco this week and wondered if his (or her) shy behaviour is normal, or is a result of sickness or stress. It is still a baby (just over an inch) and curently housed in my 10g until the 25 is done cycling. I also have a dwarf gourami in there who thinks he is boss, and 4 tetra who would get along with anyone. I dont see the pleco at all unless i really look, it is ALWAYS hiding - is this normal? Parameters in the tank are all ok.

This is normal. Mine run into their caves or under the driftwood when I approach the tank, and actually spend most of their time there. I occasionally get to see them out from across the room or at feeding time.

Boundava
01-28-2015, 05:07 PM
Ditto...mine is pretty big at 6" so he only spooks if I get right up to the tank, but he allows me to watch him from about a foot away. If I turn the lights off in the room and tank and have only moon lights then he lets me a bit closer. I have 2 clown loaches and am lucky to see them once a month.

aquamama
01-28-2015, 06:58 PM
Good to know - thanks!

Slaphppy7
01-28-2015, 07:04 PM
Mine always hides under DW...as much as I like him, I won't get another, because they are rarely seen...in my experience, anyway

James`
01-28-2015, 09:36 PM
I have not even seen my clown pleco in over 3 months.... Then again I can't even see the bottom of my tank anywhere... Last time I saw him I was so so so excited! I was getting water at 4am and saw him on the glass... A happy place will only be out at night and you'll never see it. If they're eating algae during the day it's because there is not enough for them... They only eat at night.

Slaphppy7
01-28-2015, 09:39 PM
It's so rare to see mine on the glass that when he's there, I'm afraid something's wrong, lol...he hasn't done that in a long, long time

The only time I see him is when fresh veggies are in the tank...even then, it's from a distance...if you approach the tank, even slowly and stealthily, he'll spot you and disappear in a flash