PDA

View Full Version : Pleco Behavior

jogee322
01-28-2015, 12:19 AM
I have two plecos in my 60 gal community tank. I think they are common. One is super active, swimming around almost all day and playing near the bubbler. The other hides all the time and is not very active at all. Is this just a personality difference or could something be wrong with one of them? I'm feeding algae wafers along with zucchini. I just got a piece of drift wood to add to the tank for them. Any insight to these curious creatures would be appreciated! Thanks!

aquamama
01-28-2015, 02:42 AM
Good question, I have a new pleco this week and he is constantly hiding, I do not see him hardly at all! I just came to ask pretty much the same question.

SueD
01-28-2015, 02:52 AM
I have bushy nose plecos in three tanks. Elusive critters most of the time, especially when I am near the tank. They like to hide in their caves or under the driftwood. I catch them out occasionally when looking from across the room and at feeding time.

Neoaculus
05-28-2015, 04:47 PM
This is going to be a personality difference, especially if they were in separate tanks when you bought them.

Rocksor
05-28-2015, 05:19 PM
Post pictures of both. The L021 (Pterygoplichthys pardalis) common pleco that I had was never very active unless it smelled food in the tank. It was pretty active at night with the lights off, though.

Boundava
05-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Agree with the above, plecos are different to an extent-but like to hide more than be in the spotlight. I have 4 plecos in my tank and will see the Bristlenose because 1.) he's 6 inches long, and 2.) he's albino. That being said-if he doesn't want to be seen-you will not find him-period. The others are 1 clown and 2 candystripe and I will hardly ever-maybe once a month I will see one of them-ever see them, ever. Its their nature to be elusive. I can lure the BN out with food-but the others eat wood and protein pellets so will wait until night to come out for food. Any sign or sound from me and they are gone before I even see them.

gronlaura
05-28-2015, 09:02 PM
I have a wild caught BNP who lives on the back glass and only comes out for his wafer and only when the tank lights and all the house lights are off. Any little bit of light and he is a no show, even for food. I know he's eating and healthy because of all the pleco poo I vacuum up every week!