PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying plant.

Drew's_Fish_99
01-26-2015, 07:21 PM
My LFS finally got some Red Cherry shrimp in, so I'm finally the proud owner of these little lovelies! Anyway, the tank they were in had this plant in it. Some of it coming out of the substrate and some floating. When the guy was putting shrimp in the bag, he broke off a piece and said "Something for them to play on". They seem to love it and I'm thinking it's hornwort but I have no experience with it. So I have 2 questions. 1, does it look like hornwort? And 2, if I place it in the substrate, will it grow into it's own plant overtime? 3912239123 It's just floating in a small container right now so sorry it's not the best picture of it.

Richard Peche
01-26-2015, 07:37 PM
That's Hornwort alright. It grows unbelievably quickly!

You probably won't be able to keep it in the substrate because it doesn't develop roots like most plants. So it will rot where it is buried and will then float.

I had some success with it by using those heater suckers and hooks to drape it across the tank.

Mine grew approximately 15cm in a day.

When you trim and throw out make sure the pieces are dead because they can spread into the environment and cause problems.

Apart from that I'm sure the shrimp will love it!

Drew's_Fish_99
01-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Thank you! If it doesn't develop roots, how would I go about planting it in the substrate like they had it?

Compass
01-26-2015, 07:46 PM
See about getting a small stone and tying it off to that and sticking it in the substrate. Make sure to remove all leaves from the part of the stem going into the substrate. Congrats on the shrimpies! I was just there Saturday and saw them.

Drew's_Fish_99
01-26-2015, 07:51 PM
See about getting a small stone and tying it off to that and sticking it in the substrate. Make sure to remove all leaves from the part of the stem going into the substrate. Congrats on the shrimpies! I was just there Saturday and saw them.

Hey Compass! Must of just missed ya! I was there Sat around 5ish. They're tiny so I'm keeping them in a breeders net type thing for now. I'll see about the small stone. May leave it floating for a bit to let it grow. Then divide it in to a couple different stems and give my self a little room for error.