PDA

View Full Version : Clown Pleco

sox500c
01-26-2015, 10:34 AM
I rarely get to see our clown pleco, so while I was cleaning the tank today I took the opportunity to get a couple of photos.
The quality is quite poor and as you can see there is a lot of dirt floating around due to the cleaning process.
He looks ok to me but as I rarely see him I'm not sure if I would know if he was ill or not, so any comments would be helpful.

He gets fed on algae wafers with omega-3 and blanched vegetables, he prefers cucumber and will happily devour the soft centre,
I can't see a cucumber being very nutritious but he does seem to enjoy them.

SueD
01-26-2015, 12:48 PM
My BNP's are also quite elusive. They race to their caves when I'm near the tank. But it's nice to get a look when you can.

You're correct that cucumbers aren't the best source of anything nutritious. Try zucchini or yellow squash - they seem to be better. It may take trying it a couple of times if he doesn't go at it right away. Other folks have also tried broccoli, cauliflower or green beans. But the broccoli will smell, so don't leave it there long. I couldn't stand it so I stick to zucchini.

sox500c
01-26-2015, 12:53 PM
Thanks Sue, I'll try zucchini. Should I blanch this or put it in raw? I have tried broccoli but he showed no interest, although the shrimp seemed to like it.

SueD
01-26-2015, 02:07 PM
I put it in raw and the BNP tears it up just fine.

Boundava
01-26-2015, 02:47 PM
+1 to above, my BN is not too elusive and loves zucchini raw. He also like broccoli stalks, not the florets, just cut the skin off one side and if he is like mine-he will go with gusto. He also eats krill, omnivore as well as algae wafers, and sweet potatoes cut into discs.

Clown plecos also need driftwood in their diet too. I have 2 clowns as well and hardly ever see them in my tank, I have lots of places for them to hide though.

You clown looks good, round belly, protruding (not sunken) eyes, nice color. Does look like a "He" too. Females tend to look like triangles, with really wide heads that quickly taper off to their tails.

sox500c
01-26-2015, 03:18 PM
He has a large piece of bogwood that he lives under, no doubt he is having the odd nibble on it. I'll try the broccoli stalks, thanks for the tip.