PDA

View Full Version : Raphael Catfish

squirt_12
11-17-2007, 03:13 AM
ok well what would be the minumum tank requirement for one of the raphael catfish???
i think that they look really cool and my LFS has them for like $4 so if they would fit in my tank i think that i might get one.

thanks.

smaug
11-17-2007, 03:45 AM
Oh man its like deja-vous:27: .Not as much as pictus,these guys dont move much,only come out at night,only long enough to grab food then go back to there cave and sleep,kinda like a real cat.Or a bear LMAOthumbs2: sorry.........I couldnt resist.Anyway a 30gal long would be more then enough for a raph.I have 2 in a 58.

squirt_12
11-17-2007, 03:51 AM
ok...thanks smaug.....yeah i just really think that they are attractive so i am thinking about getting 1 of them.

smaug
11-17-2007, 04:08 AM
I think you would be fine with a raph ,I assume you would put him your 33gal planted tank?if so ,make sure you give him a cave,some place he feels totally concealed.do that and he will be fine,I havnt even seen my striped raph in 2 weeks!

blu
11-17-2007, 05:02 AM
just a little warning...raphaels are very peaceful with their tankmates except when they fit in its mouth. So just make sure that none will be small enough to be eaten even when he grows to 8in long. I had one and he was a really good fish never ate anyone and even came out in the day time for a wafer(which he ate whole lol). I had a spotted one... What kind are you going to get striped or spotted?

oh and one good way to observe them is to make them a dark cave and face the opening to the front of the glass..thats what I did

smaug
11-17-2007, 05:27 AM
no doubt,they have the capability to eat small tankmates.Mine never have,they live with dwarf cory that are only 1/2-3/4" long.My spotted raph is 6-7" and my spotted is 5-6".Yeah and they do eat whole wafers so be careful to not overfeed.If you ever have to catch them they bark at ya like little dogs,and once in a while if they have a squabble you can hear them grumbling.

squirt_12
11-17-2007, 02:23 PM
well i like the spotted better.....but yeah i would be putting him into the 33g....but i am still decidig wheather or not to get one......and well the smallest fish i have are some glowlight tetras which are about 2 inches so they are fully grown.

tropfish
11-17-2007, 02:49 PM
They have striped raphaels at my LFS, i was so close to buying one before, but i don't have room anymore

YaYgoldFish
11-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Isn't your 33g way overstocked already tho?

squirt_12
11-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Isn't your 33g way overstocked already tho?
yeah but i will be waiting a while...but i want to get all of the info i can before buying one....

also...are they fast or slow growers?????

do they eat algae???
i have heard that they are carnivors....true????

smaug
11-17-2007, 03:17 PM
they are fast up to 4" after that they grow slowly.They are carnivores,mine love shrimp pellets and earthworms,they also eat snails on occasion[not malays],they do not eat algae.

squirt_12
11-17-2007, 03:20 PM
ok well i was thinking that if they are slow growers...i could start 1 in my 10g and then after it grows some then i would transfer it into the 33g...but i guess not.

o well...i will just have to wait for like a couple (like 6-12) months...or until...some of my fish die (which i hope doesn't happen for a long time)

YaYgoldFish
11-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Planningyour fish die isn't really a great stocking plan..

squirt_12
11-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Planningyour fish die isn't really a great stocking plan..
well i didn't mean it that way....it is just that i know that some will probably soon becasue some of them have already lived past their longativity (sp?) so thats the only reason...and i am thinking of downsizing...as in selling some of them.

Rue
11-17-2007, 05:49 PM
I luv the striped Rapheals...I had one too...but I NEVER saw it...I made sure it was okay when I cleaned the tank...but never once saw it out and about...

...my bumblebee cats are about the same...haven't seen them much since I got them a couple of weeks ago...but all three (in 3 different tanks) seem to be fine...

smaug
11-17-2007, 05:56 PM
I used to wait till about 2 hours after lights out and feed pellets and then set and watch for mine to come out.It worked like a charm because of my moonlights it was just enough light for me to see them.I got bored with that over time but i still drop the pellets for them.They are both fat and happy and just the way they like it ,unseen.