PDA

View Full Version : Triton Method Reef Tank

Cliff
01-10-2015, 11:12 PM
I am always interested in reading and learning about new things so this really caught my attention. Its a approach to eliminating the need for water changes in a reef tank by replacing the trace elements and amino acids were missing (assuming you are already dosing and replacing the major elements of Cal dKH and Mag). The below Germany company has been working on this for many years

http://www.triton-lab.de/index.php?id=27&L=1

On of the guys that work at my SW LFS is trying this. Now keep in mind, a part of this approach is also sending water samples to their lab in Germany for analysis so the dosage can be adjust to meet the needs of your set-up. So far he has gone 4 months without a waterchange. I am always talking to him about this every weekend when I am at the store.

Personally, I would think it would be a lot easier, and certainly a lot cheaper just to complete some weekly waterchanges, but maybe I'm just a little too old school that way. I could never try this due to the high biol-load in my reef tank. I would still need waterchanges to help with nutrient control as my tank is somewhat between a FOWLR and a reef tank.

Anyone else read about this ?

James`
01-20-2015, 02:43 AM
With good test kits we know we can always dose spot on. Having minimal bio load, a great protein skimmer, and good dosing of calcium, alkalinity, and magnes you can keep an incredible reef with 2 water changes or less a year. Having good buffers in place to allow us to dose these things is import. Many of us have run into the seesaw effect. Buffers are extremely useful to minimize water changes, and allow for good dosing while not moving the pH around. Having bioavailable gluconate-complexed calcium available is a great way to achieve great coral growth and have lower calcium levels between water changes. If you dose calcium accurately you wouldn't need to do water changes to restore calcium. There's several denitrifying reactors one can run to remove nitrates. I like bio pellets or seachem de-nitrate <50 GPH.

Protein skimmers still only have the ability to remove, I believe at most, 30% of proteins.. Water changes are best.

Water changes are the simple most effective way to restore all elements back to PAR and maintain a good buffer. But yeah they do not have to be necessary with good test kits and proper dosing. Dosing Strontium, Iodine, and phyto and zooplankton will become necessary as well. Like you mentioned trace elements, and fatty acids for coral growth is necessary. Especially those traces for the softies.

I do not think you need to send your water out to a lab if you have the test kits. But yeah you can keep a reef with no water changes, its just silly because the salt mix has everything you need. Dosing should be used to achieve higher coral growth and maintain stability.

Cliff
01-20-2015, 03:15 AM
I know what you mean James, it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier just to do water changes. I'm a little old school about that. I little things simple and easy, but that's just me.

However, I am following this topic closely, just to see where this goes. I want to see what new approaches and methods develop from what is learned (both successes and failures)

James`
01-20-2015, 04:03 PM
It will probably be one of the best tanks due to how closely it's monitored. Sand bed or bare bottom?

James`
02-09-2015, 10:25 PM
Any updates ?

Cliff
02-10-2015, 01:03 AM
So far, his corals have really improved in both color and growth rates. However, he has now been doing gravel vacs every three weeks which works out to between 10 to 15% water change. His nitrates kept going up until they hit a little over 5ppm. Back down to 2ppm after two gravel vacs.

He is starting to think this approach is best suited for bare bottom and higher flow set-ups

James`
02-10-2015, 03:35 AM
Bare bottom with a bio pellet reactor or something. I can imagine with some more flow and a deeper sand bed instead of none may be good too.

What type of corals does he have in there i am curious. It'd be interesting if it was a mixture of softies and hard drawing dofferent elements. Balance would be hard... It would be fun but I feel like I'd crash it :(

Cliff
02-10-2015, 03:48 AM
His set-up is mostly a LPS ans SPS mixed reef.

I don't think he going to add any other equipment to the set-up as he is trying to keep it as simple as possible. His goal is to get a set-up with no weekly maintenance and minimal daily dosing. I'm not too sure if he's going to get there, but if anyone can do it, he can

James`
02-10-2015, 02:30 PM
I just can't see simple and no water changes.. With the right setup in your sump you really could minimize them. I feel like an APEX and some probes need be purchased

To me seems like going more than 7days without a water change, and do dosing, your corals are going to suffer and tank is going to fluctuate typicslly.

You said it, simple snd easy.. Just do water chNges haha