PDA

View Full Version : Red Cherry Shrimp just arrived!

richberstler
11-16-2007, 08:22 PM
I just received my bag-o-RCS from Algenco and they are AWESOME! I set up a 10 gal just for them. Two of them came prego so I can't wait to see them give birth. They are so busy in the tank it almost seems like I have 100 of them.

This new treat comes with 3 questions:

What is a good method to get the Java moss to root and thrive in my new tank?

There were Daphina or something else in the bag. They were so small and moved so fast in the bag all I can really say is they look like fleas. Will they thrive as well? Should I do anything special? Will the shrimp treat these little buggers as a goos source of food or just as tank mates?

How much do these shrimp eat? I'm fairly certain I over fed a bit today to help them adjust from the terror of dealing with the Post Office for 2 days. But normally, what should I expect? Currently I'm planning to feed them from my current stock of algae wafers and fish flakes.

I'm so exited over these guys!! (Yes I feel like a nerd because of it lol)

richberstler
11-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Wow, it's amazing what a Glowlight Tetra can fit in it's mouth. That little guy decided to swim around the tank instead of heading for cover. Lesson learned. My dad won't get any of these with the Tiger Barbs he has in his tank. At least not until they double or triple in size!

zackish
11-16-2007, 09:51 PM
I don't know about the Daphnia but for feeding them because you have a new tank I would just overfeed your fish a little once in a while and they can pick that stuff up. My larger shrimp like to eat my hikari sinking wafers.
Just throw the java moss in the substrate or attach it to some driftwood or a rock. It will do fine it is a very easy growing moss.

Incredulous_Ed
11-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Just throwing some bits of gravel over the java moss is enough to make it root.

richberstler
11-16-2007, 10:10 PM
To add more fuel to the fire.... Besides the moss, any other suggestions on live plants for these shrimp?

Algenco
11-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Those are " Seed shrimp" harmless, if you have any fish in with them they will eat them fast! That reminds me I need to put a couple of baby guppies in the shrimp tank.

Ground cover plants make good hiding places for the shrimp. Marsilea ,or glosso are good

richberstler
11-21-2007, 05:38 AM
As I keep cleaning off the sponge surroundings of my water intake I'm noticing the color of it. Green, maybe brown. Now I'm wondering if the sponge will affect the bio part of the filter. Maybe the bacteria is growing both places? Just want to be sure I'm going to keep my shrimp alive....

Lady Hobbs
11-21-2007, 06:01 AM
Glad you are so happy with your shrimp. Algenco wouldn't steer you wrong. I would have loved to have bought some but didn't know where to put them. Guess I should have set up my 20 gallon, huh?

Algenco
11-21-2007, 10:56 PM
As I keep cleaning off the sponge surroundings of my water intake I'm noticing the color of it. Green, maybe brown. Now I'm wondering if the sponge will affect the bio part of the filter. Maybe the bacteria is growing both places? Just want to be sure I'm going to keep my shrimp alive....

You've just increased the area available for biological filtration. You shouldn't need to clean the sponge very often

tropfish
11-22-2007, 12:51 AM
Congrats on the new shrimp! You know we need pics now! lol

richberstler
11-24-2007, 02:53 AM
Congrats on the new shrimp! You know we need pics now! lol

I'm going to need a better camera. I did put up a pic of the tank in TOTM, but since I have auto focus and an other camera, the shrimp are too small to come out... I do plan to try to get some pics soon as I have a bunch of folks at work asking me for pics of them.

greendragon
11-24-2007, 03:15 AM
would luv to see some pics , Id post some of my crayfish but hes dug in now. Dont think hes coming out.

verbosity
12-10-2007, 02:40 PM
I just ordered some from him today. I'll post pictures when the arrive.

verbosity
12-23-2007, 12:09 AM
I'm such a liar.. I forgot I posted this.. I've had the shrimp awhile now. Here's a good shot I took today.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3253/cherryshrimpfl8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

richberstler
12-23-2007, 07:30 AM
great photo!